HOLLAND, Mich. – The Olivet College men's basketball team scored the final eight points of the game to rally past Spalding (Ky.) University, 66-63, tonight in second day of the Russ DeVette/Holland Sentinel Classic inside the DeVos Fieldhouse in Holland. After the game, senior Eric Ewing was named to the all-tournament team.
Final Score: Olivet 66, Spalding 63
Location: DeVos Fieldhouse; Holland, Mich.
Records: Olivet 4-6 overall, Spalding 1-10 overall
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Golden Eagles took an eight-point lead, 19-11, at the midpoint of the opening half.
- The Comets made three straight three-pointers – one by senior Aaron Washington and two by senior Kevin Woodson – to put them ahead 20-19.
- Spalding took the lead back on a pair of free throws before two free throws by Woodson handed the lead to Olivet.
- The Golden Eagles grabbed the lead back, 23-22, with two more free throws.
- Spalding then led by three points on three occasions, including the last time being 29-26.
- Olivet scored four straight points to gain a 30-29 lead.
- The Golden Eagles answered with two free throws for a 31-30 lead.
- Sophomore Thomas Tsalkitzis drained a three-pointer to make the score 33-31.
- Spalding scored a basket right before the buzzer to tie the game at 33-33 at halftime.
- The first part of the second half was back-and-forth, as neither team had a lead of more than four points.
- The Golden Eagles took the largest lead for either team, 53-47, at the 8:55 mark.
- The Comets fought back and closed the gap to one point, 55-54.
- Spalding answered with four consecutive points for a 59-54 advantage.
- The Golden Eagles led by five points two more times, including 63-58 with 2:35 remaining in the contest.
- Ewing made back-to-back baskets to make the score 63-62.
- Tsalkitzis drained a pair of tosses from the charity stripe to put Olivet ahead 64-63 with 1:04 left.
- Spalding had a couple chances to score the go-ahead basket but missed three shots.
- With 2.7 seconds left, senior R.J. Haas made two free throws to seal the Comets' win.
FOR THE COMETS
- Woodson and senior Chris Chrzan scored 12 points apiece.
- Washington had 11 points.
- Chrzan and Haas each grabbed six rebounds.
FOR THE GOLDEN EAGLES
- Rylan Rowe led all scorers with 21 points.
- Nick Trisko posted a double-double, 16 points and 12 rebounds.
- Olivet plays at NCAA Division I foe Miami University of Ohio next Thursday, Dec. 29 at 7 p.m.