GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. – The Olivet College men's basketball team fell to Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association (MIAA) rival Calvin College, 87-69, tonight at Van Noord Arena in Grand Rapids.
Final Score: Calvin 87, Olivet 69
Location: Van Noord Arena; Grand Rapids, Mich.
Records: Olivet 5-9 overall, 1-2 MIAA; Calvin 8-6 overall, 3-0 MIAA
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The first five minutes were back and forth with neither team leading by more than four points.
- After the Knights led 11-9, they went on a 9-0 run to go up by double figures for the first time, 20-9, at the 12:47 mark.
- The Comets scored a basket to make the score 20-11.
- Calvin used a 7-0 scoring spurt to take its largest lead of the half, 27-11.
- Olivet battled back and cut its deficit down to five points, 38-33, after senior Kevin Woodson made a free throw complete an old-fashioned three-point play with 2:20 left before halftime.
- The Knights ended the half on a 7-2 run to take a 45-35 lead into the locker rooms.
- Calvin stretched its lead to as many as 24 points twice in the second half. The last time was 87-63 with under a minute left in the game.
FOR THE COMETS
- Senior Eric Ewing posted team-highs in points (22) and rebounds (10).
- Senior Chris Chrzan added 12 points
- Senior Aaron Washington chipped-in 11 points.
FOR THE KNIGHTS
- Michael Wilks contributed a team-leading 22 points.
- Austin Bykerk finished with 11, while Tony DeWitte had 10.
- Cam Denney led all players with 14 rebounds.
- Olivet returns home to play Kalamazoo College Saturday in a MIAA basketball doubleheader. The Comet women also play the Hornets at 3 p.m., with the men's game to follow at approximately 5:30 p.m.