OLIVET, Mich. – The Olivet College men's basketball team held Kalamazoo College without a basket in the final three minutes and 38 seconds to rally past the Hornets, 81-72, this afternoon at The Cutler Event Center in Olivet.
Final Score: Olivet 81, Kalamazoo 72
Location: The Cutler Event Center; Olivet, Mich.
Records: Olivet 6-9 overall, 2-2 MIAA; Kalamazoo 4-10 overall, 0-4 MIAA
HOW IT HAPPENED
- There were four tied scores and 10 lead changes in the first 13 minutes of the game.
- After the last tied score, 23-23, the Hornets scored six straight points to take a 29-23 lead at the 5:11 mark.
- Kalamazoo held that lead until junior Jordan Terry tied the game at 31-31.
- The Hornets went ahead 34-31 before a three-pointer by sophomore Thomas Tsalkitzis made a three-pointer in the closing seconds of the half to level the score at 34-34 at halftime.
- Olivet opened the second half on a 23-9 run to take the first double digit lead of the game for either team at 57-43.
- Kalamazoo answered with a 22-8 run to take the lead back, 65-64.
- Senior R.J. Haas made a jump shot to put Olivet back on top, 66-65.
- After the Hornets grabbed the lead back, senior Eric Ewing made two free throws to make the score 68-67.
- Kalamazoo then scored its last basket and a free throw for a two-point cushion, 70-68, at the 3:15 mark.
- Eight straight points – a three-pointer by Terry, a trey by senior Kevin Woodson, and steal and fast break layup by Terry -- helped Olivet take a 77-70 lead.
- The teams traded free throws in the final 26 seconds. All four for the Comets were by senior Chris Chrzan.
FOR THE COMETS
- Ewing and Terry shared team-high honors with 18 points apiece.
- Terry also posted game-highs in assists (seven) and steals (nine).
- Woodson, who started just his second game of the season, finished with 17 points.
- Chrzan grabbed a team-leading eight rebounds.
FOR THE HORNETS
- After scoring 13 in the first half, Chase Baysdell had only five points in the second half for a team-best 18 points.
- Josh Whitney scored 11 points and pulled down a game-high 10 rebounds.
- Kalamazoo committed 21 turnovers compared to only eight for the Comets.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- Terry's 18 points were a career-best.
- Olivet makes the short trip to play Albion College next Wednesday night at 8 p.m.