OLIVET, Mich. – Senior Aaron Washington made his first seven baskets, including six from three-point range, in the first six minutes and 49 seconds, to help the Olivet College men's basketball team defeat Alma College tonight at The Cutler Event Center in Olivet. With the win, the Comets close out the first half of their Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association (MIAA) schedule with 3-4 record.
Final Score: Olivet 100, Alma 93
Location: The Cutler Event Center; Olivet, Mich.
Records: Olivet 7-11 overall, 3-4 MIAA; Alma 8-10 overall, 4-3 MIAA
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Washington's hot start helped Olivet take a 14-point lead, 25-11.
- The Scots scored six of the next points to cut their deficit to 11 points, 28-17, with 10:42 left in the opening half.
- The Comets countered with a 7-0 run to gain their largest lead of the game, 35-17, at the 9:06 mark.
- Olivet would hold an 18-point advantage two more times, with the last time being 42-24 with six minutes left.
- Over the next four minutes and 24 seconds, Alma went on an 18-6 to trim the gap to six points, 48-42.
- The Scots were down by six points, 53-47, at halftime.
- In the second half, Alma cut the Comet cushion to a single point on two occasions. The last time was 85-84 with 3:27 remaining in the game.
- Olivet made 11-of-13 free throws in the final two minutes to seal its win. The Scots kept the game close by making two three-pointers in the final 13 seconds.
FOR THE COMETS
- For the game, Olivet shot 49.3 percent (34-of-69) from the floor, including 50.0 percent (14-of-28) from behind the arc, and 81.8 percent (18-of-22) from the free throw line. The Comets committed only 10 turnovers and dished out 24 assists.
- Washington finished with a game-high 28 points on 10-of-16 shooting, including 8-of-11 from three-point range.
- Senior Eric Ewing contributed 21 points.
- Sophomore Thomas Tsalkitzis scored 19 points, grabbed a team-leading nine rebounds and registered five assists.
- Junior Jordan Terry recorded seven points.
- Senior Zach Walker had nine points, four rebounds and six assists.
FOR THE SCOTS
- Alma made 29-of-60 baskets (48.3 percent), including 14-of-35 (40.0 percent) from three-point, and 21-of-29 free throws (72.4 percent).
- Five players scored in double figures, led by Trevor Gernaat's 26 points.
- Tyler Edwards finished with 15 points and game-high 10 rebounds.
- Luke Lamoreaux (14), Jared Long (13) and Preston Laketa (11) all came off the bench to score their points.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- Olivet reached the century plateau in scoring for the first time since Dec. 12, 2013, when it scored 103 against Lawrence Tech. The last time the Comets scored 100 or more points against an MIAA opponent was Feb. 16, 2005 in a 108-104 win over Tri-State/Trine (Ind.) University.
- Washington's eight three-pointers made ties the single-game school record. He also had eight earlier this season against Heidelberg, as well as Lee Gardner vs. Alma (2/20/2016) and Andy Clark vs. Alma (2/17/2010).
- Tsalkitzis' 19 points matches his career-high, as he also scored 19 against Albion (1/18/2016). His nine rebounds and five assists are a career-best.
- Alma entered the game ranked No. 4 among NCAA Division III schools in three-point field goal percentage (43.7).
- Olivet hosts Adrian College Saturday at 3 p.m.