OLIVET, Mich. – The Olivet College men's basketball team fell to Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association (MIAA) leader Hope College, 93-88, before a "Throwback Night" crowd at the Upton Gymnasium in Olivet.
Final Score: Hope 93, Olivet 88
Location: Upton Gymnasium; Olivet, Mich.
Records: Olivet 8-12 overall, 4-5 MIAA; Hope 16-4 overall, 9-0 MIAA
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The first two minutes and 33 seconds of the game were back-and-forth with two lead changes and four tied scores.
- After a 9-9 deadlock, the Comets surged ahead 14-9 on a layup by senior Eric Ewing and a three-pointer by senior Chris Chrzan.
- Olivet eventually pushed its lead to eight points, 22-14.
- The Flying Dutchmen answered with a 17-5 run to go up 31-27 at the 8:30 mark.
- The Comets responded with a 5-0 scoring spurt to re-gain a 32-31 lead with 7:13 left in the first half.
- Following a Hope trey, Olivet had another 5-0 run to take a 37-34 lead.
- The Flying Dutchmen then scored 13 of the next 15 points for their largest lead of the game, 47-39.
- A three-pointer by sophomore Thomas Tsalkitzis made the score 47-42 at halftime.
- Hope stretched its lead to as many as 15 points, 67-52, at the 11:29 mark of the second half.
- Undeterred, the Comets cut their deficit down to four points, 71-67, with 8:22 remaining.
- The Flying Dutchmen took a nine-point lead, 76-67, before Olivet closed the gap to four points, 76-72, at the 5:17 point.
- Hope extended its lead back to double figures one more time, 82-72.
- Again, the Comets did not give up and trimmed the Flying Dutchmen lead down to only three points, 88-85, with 46 seconds left.
- Hope made 5-of-6 free throws in the final 30 seconds of the game.
- A three-pointer by Tsalkitzis at the buzzer capped the scoring.
FOR THE COMETS
- Four starters reached double figures in the scoring column.
- Ewing led the way with 24 points, followed by Tsalkitzis with 22.
- Chrzan and senior Aaron Washington each had 10.
- Ewing grabbed a game-high nine rebounds, as Olivet out-rebounded Hope, 38-33.
- Junior Jordan Terry dished out seven assists.
FOR THE FLYING DUTCHMEN
- Hope made 26 baskets in the game, with 17 coming from behind the three-point arc.
- Chad Carlson led the way with 30 points on 10-of-17 three-pointers.
- Dante Hawkins notched 24 points, including half from the charity stripe.
- Cody Stuive had 13 points.
- Mitchell O'Brien scored 12 points.
- Harrison Blackledge entered the game as the MIAA's leading scorer was held to six points, 14 below his season average.
- Blackledge, Stuive and Teddy Ray recorded six rebounds apiece.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- Tonight was the first varsity basketball game in Upton Gym since Feb. 23, 2008.
- Olivet stays home to face Calvin College Saturday at 7:30 p.m.