OLIVET, Mich. – Senior Jalen Adams and junior Tracy Edmond both posted a double-double to lead the Olivet College men's basketball team to a 96-64 win over Defiance (Ohio) College in its season-opener tonight at The Cutler Event Center in Olivet.
Final Score: Olivet 96, Defiance 64
Location: The Cutler Event Center; Olivet, Mich.
Records: Olivet 1-0 overall, Defiance 1-1 overall
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Comets held an eight-point lead, 16-8, at the 13:01 mark of the opening half.
- Olivet extended its advantage twice to 11 points. After the last time at 31-20, the Yellow Jackets went on an 8-2 run to trim their deficit down to five points, 33-28.
- The teams traded baskets for a 35-30 score. The Comets put the next eight points on the scoreboard to gain their largest lead of the first half, 43-30.
- Defiance made a three-pointer to make the score 43-33 at halftime.
- Early in the second half, the Yellow Jackets were able to close the gap to as few as eight points twice.
- Olivet's largest lead was 35 points after junior Chase Brocker made a pair of free throws with 16 seconds left.
FOR THE COMETS
- As a team, Olivet shot 49.3 percent from the floor compared to 39.1 percent for Defiance. The Comets were nearly perfect at the free throw line, 18-of-19, while the Yellow Jackets were 6-of-11.
- Adams posted game-highs in points (28) and rebounds (11) for his double-double.
- Edmond nearly had a triple double with 20 points, 10 rebounds and eight assists.
- Senior Eldridge Mason finished with 21 points, including four baskets from behind the three-point line.
FOR THE YELLOW JACKETS
- Kiewuan Graham scored a team-leading 11 points.
- Davontae Kinnie was next with 10 points.
- Jordan Maschino grabbed a team-best seven rebounds.
- Olivet plays an afternoon matinee next Tuesday at Ferris State University. Tip-off at Jim Wink Arena in Big Rapids is set for 12:15 p.m.