FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. – Junior Chase Brocker scored a career-high 22 points to lift the Olivet College men's basketball team to a 78-75 victory over Simpson (Iowa) College tonight in the second day of the Cruzin Classic at the Broward County Convention Center in Fort Lauderdale, Florida.
Final Score: Olivet 78, Simpson 75
Location: Broward Country Convention Center; Fort Lauderdale, Fla.
Records: Olivet 4-4 overall, Simpson 3-6 overall
HOW IT HAPPENED
- In the first half, neither team led by more than three points until the Storm took the largest lead for either team at six points, 17-11. Simpson then extended its lead to nine points before the Comets went on a 7-0 run to trim their deficit down to two points, 23-21. The Storm answered with an 8-2 run to push their lead back to eight points, 31-23, at the 8:01 mark.
- Olivet then went on a 10-0 scoring spurt to take a 33-31 lead with 4:45 left in the opening half. Simpson scored four straight points to regain the lead, 35-33. A jumper by senior Jalen Adams tied the game but back-to-back three-pointers for the Storm put them ahead 41-35. Senior Aaron Washington made a three-pointer to cut the Comets' deficit in half, 41-38, at the break.
- To start the second half, senior Sirafino Davis made 3-of-4 free throws to level the score at 41-41. The teams traded baskets for the next two minutes, which resulted in four lead changes. The Storm grabbed a five-point advantage, 51-46, at the 14:04 mark. Olivet fought back with an 11-3 run to take a 57-54 lead.
- Simpson responded with an 8-0 run to go ahead 62-57 with 8:57 left in the game. The Comets put seven of the next eight points on the scoreboard to take the lead back, 64-63. Points were exchanged, causing four tied scores. After the last deadlock at 71-71, the Storm scored four consecutive points for a 75-71 lead.
- Olivet scored three points to close the gap to a points, 75-74. Simpson turned the ball over and after a timeout, Adams drained a jump shot with 31 seconds left. The Storm missed a potential winning basket. Adams was fouled when grabbing the rebound, resulting in free throws. He made both to create the final score. A last-second three-pointer for Simpson was off the mark.
FOR THE COMETS
- Brocker made 7-of-9 baskets, including 5-of-6 three-pointers, and 3-of-3 free throws for his game-high 22 points.
- Junior Tracy Edmond had a near double-double with 14 points and nine assists.
- Junior John McAdoo came off the bench to score 10 points.
- Adams was held to eight points but grabbed a team-leading nine rebounds.
FOR THE SEAHAWKS
- Five players scored in double figures, led by Conor Riordan's 19.
- Sam Ansbaugh finished with 17 points.
- Taylor Filbert notched 12 points, while Tyler Stumbo and Kyle Wagner had 11 points each.
- Stumbo pulled down a team-best nine rebounds.
- The Comets return home to Michigan tomorrow and are then off until Thursday, Dec. 28, when it travels to play NCAA Division I foe Fort Wayne (Ind.) at 7 p.m.