OLIVET, Mich. – The Olivet College men's basketball team cut a 28-point deficit in the first half down to just four points but could not complete the comeback in a 79-74 loss to Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association (MIAA) rival Trine (Ind.) University tonight at The Cutler Event Center in Olivet.
Final Score: Trine 79, Olivet 74
Location: The Cutler Event Center; Olivet, Mich.
Records: Olivet 6-7 overall, 1-1 MIAA; Trine 6-7 overall, 2-0 MIAA
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Thunder led by 28 points, 39-11, at the 4:08 mark of the opening half. The Comets scored 11 of the final 15 points of the half to trail by 21 points, 43-22, at the break.
- In the second half, Olivet closed the gap to nine points, 56-47, with 11:39 left. Trine answered with a 9-1 run over the next four minutes and 15 seconds to push its lead back to 17 points, 65-48. The Comets countered with a 17-4 run to make the score 69-65 at the 2:56 mark. The teams traded 5-0 runs to keep the score at a four-point margin, 74-70, with 46.8 seconds remaining. Trine made 2-of-4 free throws, while senior Jalen Adams made a basket for another four-point difference, 76-72. The Thunder scored the last three points to create the final score.
FOR THE COMETS
- Adams finished with a double-double, 23 points and 16 rebounds, to lead all players.
- Junior Tracy Edmond tallied 16 points.
- Senior Aaron Washington came off the bench to score 11 points.
FOR THE THUNDER
- Myles Copeland and Maurice Hunter had identical stat lines with 17 points and 11 rebounds each.
- Langston Johnson recorded 16 points.
- Pete Smith notched 10 points.
- The Comets wrap-up a three-game homestand Wednesday night when Kalamazoo College visits The Cutler Event Center for a 7:30 p.m. game.