OLIVET, Mich. – The Olivet College men's basketball team had its season come to end with a 106-94 loss to Hope College tonight in the 2018 Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association (MIAA) Tournament championship game at The Cutler Event Center in Olivet. With the loss, the Comets end their season with a 16-11 overall record.
Final Score: Hope 106, Olivet 94
Location: Cutler Event Center; Olivet, Mich.
Records: Olivet 16-11 overall, Hope 18-9 overall
HOW IT HAPPENED
- In the first half, the Comets race out to an eight-point lead, 15-7, at the 13:57 mark. Back-to-back three-pointers trimmed the Flying Dutchmen's deficit to two points. Olivet pushed its lead back to four points twice. After the last time at 19-15, Hope scored two jumpers to tie the game. After the Comets took a 23-21 lead, the Flying Dutchmen ended the half on a 25-9 run to take a 46-32 at the break.
- Hope stretched its lead to 18 points on four occasions in the second half. The last time was 83-65 at the 7:32 mark. Olivet fought back with an 18-6 run to trim its deficit down to six points, 89-83, with 4:40 left in the game. The Comets closed the margin to six points one more time before Hope made 10-of-12 free throws in the final 2:08 to seal its win.
FOR THE COMETS
- Junior Tracy Edmond led all scorers with 36 points and dished out eight assists.
- Senior Jalen Adams and junior Eldridge Mason each scored 17 points.
- Adams grabbed a team-high nine rebounds.
FOR THE FLYING DUTCHMEN
- Jason Beckman led Hope with 32 points.
- Riley Lewis provided a spark off the bench with 21 points on 8-of-10 shooting, including 5-of-7 from behind the arc.
- Teddy Ray scored 13 points and pulled down a game-high 18 rebounds.
Preston Granger contributed 11 points.