DUBUQUE, Iowa – The Olivet College men's basketball team scored the final nine points to beat University of Dubuque, 84-77, tonight in its season-opener at the Loras College Tip-Off Classic and on Lillis Court in Dubuque, Iowa.
Final Score: Olivet 84, Dubuque 77
Location: Lillis Court; Dubuque, Iowa
Records: Dubuque 1-2 overall, Olivet 1-0 overall
- In the first half, the Comets led by as many as 15 points, 36-21, at the 6:33 mark. The Spartans chipped away at their deficit and trailed by only six points, 38-32. Olivet pushed its lead back to nine points, 45-36, with 2:24 left before halftime. Dubuque scored the final seven points of the half to make the score 45-43 at halftime.
- The Comets opened the second half on an 11-6 run to extend its lead to seven points, 56-49. The Spartans answered with a 14-5 scoring spurt to take their first lead of the game, 63-61, with 9:24 remaining in the game. Dubuque was able to gain a six-point cushion, 71-65, at the 6:47 mark.
- Olivet responded with back-to-back three-pointers to level the score. After a Spartan three-pointer, junior Trevor Manuel made two straight baskets to give the lead back to the Comets, 75-74. Dubuque made three free throws to go ahead 77-75. Those were the Spartans' final two points of the game.
- Two free throws by senior Dee Roberts tied the game. Senior Tracy Edmond nailed a three-pointer to put Olivet ahead. A dunk by Manuel and layup by Edmond in the final eight seconds of the game provided the winning margin.
- Olivet made 32-of-67 baskets (47.8 percent), with eight three-pointers, and 12-of-17 free throws (70.6 percent) for its 84 points.
- Roberts led all players with 25 points on 9-of-18 shooting from the floor, including 5-of-11 from behind the arc.
- Edmond contributed 22 points to go along with seven assists and four steals.
- Manuel added 14 points and eight rebounds.
- Dubuque had five players score in double figures, led by Deonte Newsome's 16 points.
- Michael Williams was next with 14 points.
- Cade Daugherty had 11 points, and Peter Ragan and Jason Barker each scored 10.
- Newsome grabbed a game-high nine rebounds.
- Olivet faces the host Duhawks in its second game at the Loras Tip-Off Classic. Game time is set for 6 p.m. CT.