ALBION, Mich. – The Olivet College men's basketball team began its quest for a second straight Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association (MIAA) title with a heartbreaking 74-71 loss to Albion College tonight at Kresge Gymnasium in Albion.
Final Score: Albion 74, Olivet 71
Location: Kresge Gymnasium; Albion, Mich.
Records: Albion 8-4 overall, 1-0 MIAA; Olivet 4-8 overall, 0-1 MIAA
- In the first half, Albion led by as many as 20 points, 44-24, at the 3:06 mark. The Britons shot 54.8 percent from the floor, including 53.3 percent (8-of-18) from behind the arc to hold a 50-33 lead at halftime. In the opening 20 minutes, the Comets shot only 30.3 percent from the floor, including 33.3 percent (4-of-12) from three-point territory.
- In the second half, Olivet chipped away at its deficit. The Comets took the lead for the first time, 65-64, with 4:58 left in the game after senior John McAdoo assisted on junior Trevor Manuel's basket off an in-bounds play. Olivet extended its lead to three points when senior Tracy Edmond made a layup. Albion closed the gap to one point before another Edmond basket put the Comets back ahead by three, 69-66.
- The Britons answered with five straight points to go ahead 71-69 with just under a minute remaining in the game. Edmond drained two free throws with 32.9 seconds showing on the clock to level the score at 71-71. Albion set-up its offense and Jaylin Fordham nailed a three-pointer from the right elbow with 8.3 seconds left. Following a Briton timeout, a last-second Olivet three-pointer fell short.
- For the game, Olivet had a 39.0 field goal percentage. The difference in the game was the Britons made three more triples, 9-6, and shot 48.1 percent from the floor.
- Playing all 40 minutes, Edmond led all players with 25 points.
- Senior Colin Jones finished with 19 points.
- Manuel had a double-double, 11 points and 10 rebounds.
- Fordham scored a team-leading 21 points.
- Jamezell Davis added 16 points.
- Dylan Bennett and Caden Ebeling each had 11 points, while Ebeling had 10 rebounds.
- Arshawn Parker came off the bench to score 10 points.
- The Comets are on the road to play Trine (Ind.) University Saturday afternoon at 3 p.m.