ANGOLA, Ind. – Senior Colin Jones scored 25 points to lead the Olivet College men's basketball team to an 81-70 win over Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association (MIAA) rival Trine (Ind.) University today inside the MTI Center in Angola, Indiana.
Final Score: Olivet 81, Trine 70
Location: MTI Center; Angola, Ind.
Records: Trine 8-5 overall, 1-1 MIAA; Olivet 5-8 overall, 1-1 MIAA
- In the first 10 minutes of the game, neither team held more than a one-possession lead. The Comets' took the largest lead of the game, 18-14, after Jones made a fast-break layup at the 9:16 mark. The Thunder scored the next five points before Olivet answered with its own 6-0 run to take a five-point lead, 24-19.
- Trine made the next basket. The Comets put the next five points on the scoreboard to take their largest lead of the half, 29-21. Olivet settled for an eight-point advantage, 32-25, at halftime.
- In the second half, the Comets extended their lead to as many as 15 points on three occasions, with the last time being, 61-46. The Thunder battled back to cut their deficit down to five points, 68-63, with 5:29 left in the game. Back-to-back three-pointers by junior Trevor Manuel and Jones increased Olivet's lead to double digits. The lead would stay at 10 or more points for the rest of the game.
- For the game, Olivet shot 56.9 percent (33-of-58) from the floor, including a sizzling 69.0 percent (20-of-29) in the second half.
- Jones made nine baskets, including five from behind the three-point arc, and two free throws for his 25 points.
- Senior Tracy Edmond scored 22 points and dished out six assists.
- Manuel had 19 points and 12 rebounds.
- Trine had a 45.3 shooting percentage (29-of-64), with 30.0 percent (6-of-20) from three-point territory.
- Myles Copeland shared game-high scoring honors with 25 points.
- Pete Smith tallied 21 points.
- Langston Johnson recorded 10 assists.
- The Comets make the trip to play Kalamazoo College next Wednesday, Jan. 9, at 7:30 p.m.