OLIVET, Mich. – The Olivet College men's basketball team led by 21 points in the first half before hanging on for a four-point win, 84-80, over Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association (MIAA) foe Alma College this evening at the Cutler Event Center in Olivet.
Final Score: Olivet 84, Alma 80
Location: Cutler Event Center; Olivet, Mich.
Records: Alma 3-12 overall, 2-2 MIAA; Olivet 7-8 overall, 3-1 MIAA
- Trailing 7-6 at the 14:51 mark of the first half, the Comets outscored the Scots 28-6 over the next eight minutes and 32 seconds to take the aforementioned 21-point lead. During that run, Olivet made 12-of-14 baskets. The Scots fought back and trimmed their deficit down to 10 points, 43-33, with 1:24 left until halftime. The Comets scored the next five points before an Alma three-pointer made the score 48-36 at the intermission.
- In the second half, Olivet pushed its lead to as many as 17 points, 61-44, at the 15:48 mark. The Scots chipped away at their deficit and closed the gap to four points, 72-68, with 5:23 remaining in the game. The Comets extended their lead back to eight points, 80-72. Alma used an 8-2 spurt to make the score 82-80 with 18 seconds left. Olivet sealed the win by making two free throws with 15.1 ticks showing on the clock.
- For the game, Olivet shot 62.0 percent (31-of-50) from the floor, including 71.4 percent (20-of-28) in the first half.
- Junior Trevor Manuel and senior Dee Roberts each scored 21 points.
- Senior Colin Jones netted 20 points.
- Senior Tracy Edmond had a double-double with 17 points and 10 assists. He also posted a team-high in rebounds (eight) and steals (six).
- For the game, Alma recorded a 45.0 field goal percentage, making 27-of-60 baskets.
- Five players reached double figures in the scoring column.
- Cole Kleiver led the way with 18 points.
- Ryan Stevens scored 16 points and dished out seven assists.
- Also scoring in double digits were Steven Harvey (13), Kyle Woodruff (12) and Kevin Gamble (10).
- Gamble grabbed a game-best nine rebounds.
- The Comets host Adrian College next Wednesday, Jan. 16, at 8 p.m. The game is a part of a basketball doubleheader, as the Olivet women also play the Bulldogs preceding the men's game at 6 p.m.