ALMA, Mich. – The Olivet College men's basketball team fell to Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association (MIAA) foe Alma College, 78-69, in overtime this evening inside the Art Smith Arena in Alma.
Final Score: Alma 78, Olivet 69 (OT)
Location: Art Smith Arena; Alma, Mich.
Records: Alma 5-17 overall, 4-7 MIAA; Olivet 11-11 overall, 7-4 MIAA
- The Comets led 9-3 four minutes into the game. The Scots fought back and used an 11-2 run to go ahead 14-11 at the 13:19 mark. Olivet made back-to-back baskets to take the lead back. The Comets extended their lead to as many as eight points, 27-19, with 8:13 left until halftime.
- Alma came back with a 14-4 run over a nearly four-minute stretch to take the lead back, 33-31. The teams traded free throws and baskets in the final 3:23 of the half to maintain the Scots' two-point cushion, 38-36, at the intermission.
- Sophomore Delbert Redfield drained a three-pointer to put Olivet ahead 39-38. Neither team led by more than three points in the first nine minutes of the second half. The Comets gained the largest lead for either team, 57-47, at the 6:24 mark. Olivet maintained the advantage and led by eight points, 65-58, with 2:10 left in regulation. The Comets did not make any baskets in the final two minutes, and the Scots went 3-for-3 to send the game to overtime.
- The teams exchanged baskets to start the extra period. Alma went ahead on a three-pointer and did not look back for the rest of overtime. Olivet made 2-of-8 baskets in OT compared to 3-of-8 field goals and 6-of-6 free throws for the Scots.
- Junior Trevor Manuel posted a double-double, 30 points and 11 rebounds.
- Redfield made four three-pointers for 12 points.
- Cole Kleiver scored a team-best 20 points.
- Kyle Woodruff came off the bench to net 15 points despite 1-of-10 shooting from behind the arc.
- Steven Harvey and Ryan Stevens chipped-in 14 and 13 points, respectively.
- Brandon Rake pulled down a game-high 13 rebounds.
- The Comets stay on the road to play Adrian College Saturday at 1 p.m. The game is a part of a basketball doubleheader at the Merillat Sports & Fitness Center, as the Olivet women play the Bulldogs immediately following the men's game at approximately 3 p.m.