DEFIANCE, Ohio – The Olivet College men's basketball team defeated Spalding (Ky.) University in the consolation game of the Defiance Purple & Gold Tournament at Karl H. Weaner Center in Defiance, Ohio. The win is the first for head coach Sam Hargraves at Olivet. In addition, junior Chris Martin was named to the All-Tournament Team.
Final Score: Olivet 95, Spalding (Ky.) 75
Location: Karl H. Weaner Center; Defiance, Ohio
Records: Spalding 0-3 overall, Olivet 1-1 overall
- The Comets scored the first nine points of the game and never trailed for the remainder of the game. In the first half, Olivet led by as many as 20 points, 38-18, at the 5:16 mark when freshman Noah Wiswary made a fast-break layup. The Comets settled for an 11-point advantage, 44-33, at halftime.
- After the Golden Eagles scored the first basket of the second half, Olivet went on a 14-2 run to gain a 21-point cushion, 58-37, with 15:20 remaining in the game. Spalding cut its deficit down to nine points, 72-63. The Golden Eagles would not get any closer, as the Comets' lead swelled back to 21 points in the final minute of the game.
- Olivet made 31-of-53 (58.5 percent) baskets, including 20-of-31 (64.5 percent) in the second half. The Comets connected on 11 shots from behind the arc, and drained 22-of-28 free throws.
- Five players scored in double figures. Junior Eddie Thigpen led the way with 20 points.
- Junior Shawn Pardee finished with 17 points.
- Freshman Britton Angell came off the bench to score 16 points and grab a game-high nine rebounds.
- Martin finished with 14 points.
- Sophomore Cameron Ramos made each of his four shots, including two three-pointers, for 10 points.
- Thigpen pulled down eight rebounds.
- "Right from the jump ball, we had a much better physical effort, especially defensively," said Hargraves. "We obviously have a long ways to go, but we had a much better winning mentality the entire game."
- Jaiquan Edwards and Marcus Montgomery scored 17 points apiece.
- Troy Amanor had 14 points.
- Robert Bendingfield tallied 10 points and seven assists.
- Edwards grabbed a team-best five rebounds.
- Olivet goes on the road to play Wheaton (Ill.) College next Saturday, Nov. 23. Tip-off at King Arena is at 8 p.m. ET.