NEW CONCORD, Ohio – Senior Nino Minaudo's game-high seven points helped the Olivet College men's lacrosse team beat Muskingum (Ohio) University, 17-6, in a non-conference contest this evening at McConagha Stadium in New Concordia, Ohio.
Final Score: Olivet 17, Muskingum 6
Location: McConagha Stadium; New Concordia, Ohio
Records: Olivet 2-3 overall, Muskingum 1-3 overall
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Comets raced out to a 3-0 lead in the first three minutes and four seconds of the game. Two of the goals were by freshman Trevor Bailey and the other was by senior Tyler Polendo.
- The Fighting Muskies made the score 3-1 with a goal at the 5:34 mark of the opening quarter.
- Minaudo netted a goal with just 17 seconds left in the first stanza.
- Muskingum scored the first goal of the second period.
- Bailey answered with a man-up goal off a pass from Minaudo to take a 5-2 lead.
- Polendo tallies an unassisted goal to give Olivet its largest lead of the game, 6-2, with 9:46 left in the second quarter.
- After the Muskies scored with 21 seconds left in the second quarter, the Comets won the face-off and quickly went into the offensive end of the field. Minaudo fed Bailey for his fourth goal of the game with six ticks left and Olivet led 7-3 at the intermission.
- Freshman Jake Kovalcik found the back of the cage just 25 seconds into the third period.
- Muskingum responded with an unassisted goal 27 seconds later.
- Minaudo nets Olivet's second man-up goal of the game to put the Comets ahead 9-4.
- After the Muskies made the score 9-5, the Comets ended the quarter on a 4-0 run to take a 13-5 lead into the fourth quarter. Olivet goals were two for Kovalcik, and one each for Minaudo and Polendo.
- The run continued into the final quarter, as Polendo's goal 49 seconds into the period made the score 14-5.
- Following a Muskingum man-up goal, Polendo nets his sixth goal of the game to keep the lead at nine, 15-6.
- Minaudo and Bailey capped Olivet's scoring.
FOR THE COMETS
- Minaudo had three goals and four assists for his seven points.
- Polendo finished with six goals, while Bailey added five goals.
- Bailey registered a game-high 16 shots, followed by Minaudo and Polendo with 11 each, and senior Logan Krieger with 10.
- Kovalcik scored three goals.
- Sophomore Zach Sanders recorded three assists.
- Senior Shane Prunty won 13-of-20 face-offs.
- Senior Charlie Haesler had 12 ground balls and six caused turnovers.
- Freshman Robert Kehring was the winning keeper. He collected 11 saves, while facing 38 total shots.
FOR THE FIGHTING MUSKIES
- Nick Klinefelter scored two goals. Four others each had one.
- Tucker Haas had a team-best 10 shots.
- Phillip Dappen suffered the loss in the cage. He finished with 16 saves.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- Olivet's 63 shots is the fourth-most in school history for a game.
- Olivet is on the road to play State University of New York at Geneseo for its final non-league game next Saturday, March 25, starting at 1 p.m.