HOLLAND, Mich. – Senior Tyler Polendo scored with 1:15 left in overtime to lift the Olivet College men's lacrosse team past Hope College, 17-16, this afternoon at Van Andel Stadium in Holland. The win helped the Comets move into a tie with the Flying Dutchmen for second-place in the Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association (MIAA) standings with identical 4-1 records.
Final Score: Olivet 17, Hope 16
Location: Van Andel Stadium; Holland, Mich.
Records: Olivet 6-5 overall, 4-1 MIAA; Hope 9-4 overall, 4-1 MIAA
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The first half was a tale of two quarters. Olivet out-scored Hope, 6-2, in the first quarter before the Flying Dutchmen out-scored the Comets, 8-2, in the second quarter for a 10-8 halftime lead.
- Hope notched the first goal of the third quarter to stretch its lead to 11-8.
- Olivet tallied three straight goals to even the score at 11-11.
- After the Flying Dutchmen went up 12-11, the Comets scored twice in a six-second span to take a 13-12 lead at the start of the fourth quarter.
- In the final quarter, Hope put four of the first five points on the scoreboard to take a 16-14 lead with 2:15 left in regulation.
- Junior Logan Krieger's shot took a bounce and into the goal at the 1:34 mark to make the score 16-15.
- Twenty-seven seconds later, sophomore Zach Sanders scored off a feed from freshman Jake Kovalcik to send the game to overtime.
- The Flying Dutchmen had a couple chances to score in the final minute of regulation but both shots went over the cage.
- In overtime, Hope won the opening face-off but turned the ball over.
- Olivet's first chance to score the winning goal was saved by the keeper.
- Both teams failed the clear the ball into the offensive end until another Dutchmen shot sailed high.
- The Comets got the ball back and called a timeout with 2:04 left.
- Polendo's first two shots were off the mark before a third attempt for the upper, right corner of the net for the game-winner.
FOR THE COMETS
- Sophomore Bryce Drew paced Olivet with six points on five goals and an assist. Four of his goals were in the opening quarter.
- Freshman Trevor Bailey also tallied five goals as well as a team-leading 14 shots.
- Krieger had two goals and team-best three assists for five points.
- Polendo notched two goals and two assists for four points.
- Kovalcik, Sanders and Nino Minaudo each had a goal and assist.
- Junior Cullen Haesler topped the defense with seven caused turnovers and eight ground balls.
- Senior Charlie Haesler caused three turnovers and recorded six ground balls.
- Senior Drew Radners played the entire game in goal and made 15 saves.
FOR THE FLYING DUTCHMEN
- Gunnar Elder led all players with eight points on four goals and four assists.
- Four players – Rocco Mularoni, Gino Battaglia, Kyle Gaines and Andrew Pavey – finished with two goals apiece.
- Gaines registered 20 ground balls.
- Nick Schanhals took the loss in the cage, collecting 17 saves.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- Cullen Haesler's seven caused turnovers ties the single-game school record.
- Today's game was the first overtime contest in the five-year history of the Olivet men's lacrosse program.
- The Comets have now beaten the Flying Dutchmen each of the last four years.
- Olivet is on the road next Tuesday night to play Trine (Ind.) University at 7 p.m. The Comets then end their regular season Friday night when they host Albion College at 4 p.m.