OLIVET, Mich. – The Olivet College men's soccer team suffered a tough 3-2 loss Rochester College this afternoon in its season-opener at the Cutler Athletic Complex in Olivet.
Final Score: Rochester 3, Olivet 2
Location: Cutler Athletic Complex; Olivet, Mich.
Records: Rochester 2-6 overall, Olivet 0-1 overall
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Neither team was able to put any shots in the back of the net in the first half.
- Rochester scored a pair of goals in a span of just over five minutes to take a 2-0 lead.
- The Comets answered with two goals to level the score at 2-2 in the 80th minute.
- The Warriors netted what proved to be the winning goal in the 84th minute.
FOR THE COMETS
- Sophomore David Magallon scored Olivet's first goal in the 72nd minute. Junior Evan Shambaugh sent a free kick from the opposite side of the field into the box, where Magallon sent a shot to the far post and into the goal.
- Freshman Brevan Bender found the back of the net for his first collegiate goal in the 80th minute. Senior Gregory Petty was credited with the assist.
- For the game, Magallon had a team-best four shots, placing three on-goal.
- Junior Nathan Weeks played the first half in goal, and made one save. Freshman Tyler Marsman allowed the three goals in the second half.
FOR THE WARRIORS
- Fred Prest scored the first Rochester goal, while Donovan Perayeff netted the final two.
- Prest and Perayeff were credited with all of the Warriors' shots – four for Prest and three for Perayeff.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- Today's game marked the coaching debut for Olivet head coach Dan Montanye.
- Olivet's starting lineup featured three players from England – sophomore Charles Griggs and Matthew Henderson, and freshmen Courtney Skerritt.
- Olivet returns to the field Sunday, Sept. 4, when Central (Iowa) College visits the Cutler Athletic Complex for a 1 p.m. contest.