OLIVET, Mich. – The Olivet College men's soccer team fell to Central (Iowa) College in heartbreaking fashion, 1-0, this afternoon at the Cutler Athletic Complex in Olivet.
Final Score: Central 1, Olivet 0
Location: Cutler Athletic Complex; Olivet, Mich.
Records: Central 1-1 overall, Olivet 0-2 overall
HOW IT HAPPENED
- In a scrum in front of the net, Central scored its only goal in the 89th minute.
- Olivet's best scoring chances all came in the first half.
FOR THE COMETS
- Sophomore David Magallon had two shots early in game, the first in the second minute and the second in the 10th minute, saved by the keeper.
- Freshman Brevan Bender and senior Gregory Petty also had shots stopped by the goalie in the first half.
- In goal, junior Nathan Weeks played all 90 minutes and collected five saves.
FOR THE DUTCH
- The Dutch out-shot Olivet, 13-5, and had a 9-4 advantage in corner kicks.
- Kiel Pederson netted Central's only goal.
- Aronyi Niykiza finished with a team-best three shots.
- Josh Carpenter had four saves, while playing the entire game in goal.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- Today's game marked the first-ever meeting between Olivet and Central on the soccer field. It is also the first time the Comets have played a school from the Iowa Intercollegiate Athletic Conference.
- Olivet goes on the road for the first time this season Tuesday night when it makes the trip to Ada, Ohio, to play Ohio Northern University. Game time is 7 p.m.