DELAWARE, Ohio – The Olivet College men's soccer team was defeated by the host Battling Bishops in the second round of the Ohio Wesleyan University adidas® Invitational at the Jay Martin Soccer Complex in Delaware, Ohio.
Final Score: Ohio Wesleyan 2, Olivet 0
Location: Jay Martin Soccer Complex; Delaware, Ohio
Records: Ohio Wesleyan 4-1 overall, Olivet 0-5 overall
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Ohio Wesleyan tallied a goal in each half to gain the 2-0 shutout victory.
- The first goal came in the 14th minute. The Comets failed to clear the ball out of the box. The ball was redirected to the feet of Will Sharer who blasted the ball over the keeper's head in the center of the goal.
- The second goal was scored four minutes and 58 seconds into the second half.
FOR THE COMETS
- The Comets had five shots in the game, including two for sophomore David Magallon. Three others had one apiece.
- Junior Nathan Weeks collected five saves while facing 28 shots in 90 minutes of goalie action.
FOR THE BATTLING BISHOPS
- The Battling Bishops recorded 28 total shots, 14 in both halves. Seven of the shots were placed on-goal.
- Phoenix Neitzelt led the way with six shots, followed by Kyle Baum with five.
- Ben Farynowski and J.P. Baughman combined for the shutout in goal, making one save each.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- Ohio Wesleyan entered the game ranked No. 8 in this week's D3soccer.com Top 25 poll.
- Weeks and senior Michael Brait were selected to the all-tournament team.
QUOTE FROM OLIVET HEAD COACH DAN MONTANYE
Ohio Wesleyan is a very strong team and we certainly played them tough. To go on the road and play the #8 team in the nation is no small task. Our players handled themselves extremely well under the circumstances. We put together a full 90 minute game and can leave Ohio knowing we put everything we had into that game.
- Olivet plays its first Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association game of the season Tuesday when it travels to Kalamazoo College for a 7 p.m. game.