OLIVET, Mich. – The Olivet College men's soccer team led Albion College 3-0 and hung on to beat the Britons, 4-3, this afternoon at the Cutler Athletic Complex in Olivet.
Final Score: Olivet 4, Albion 3
Location: Cutler Athletic Complex; Olivet, Mich.
Records: Olivet 1-5-1 overall, 1-0-1 MIAA; Albion 2-4 overall, 1-1MIAA
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Comets took a 1-0 lead in the 30th minute when senior Gregory Petty scored off a pass from sophomore David Magallon.
- Olivet stretched its lead to 2-0 on an unassisted goal by sophomore Donald Robertson in the 37th minute.
- On a nice give-and-go play, Magallon scored off a feed from Petty in the second minute of the second half to put the Comets up 3-0.
- The Britons began their comeback with a pair of goals in a span of three minutes and 22 seconds.
- Senior Michael Brait scored what proved to be the game-winner in the 62nd minute. He dribbled the ball up the field from his defensive position and sent a low shot to the far post and into the side netting for the goal.
- Albion netted its final goal with 38.5 seconds remaining in the game.
FOR THE COMETS
- Olivet finished the game with only nine shots, placing five on-goal.
- Brait, Magallon and Robertson each took two shots.
- Junior Nathan Weeks faced 23 shots in goal. He made seven saves, including several brilliant stops to keep Albion off the scoreboard.
FOR THE BRITONS
- Aaron Smit, Bobby Budlong and Erik VanFossen each had a goal.
- Budlong also recorded a team-best seven shots.
- Justin Kraft played in goal during the first half and had one save. Chris Wallace played the second half in net and did not record any saves.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- The win is the first at Olivet for head coach Dan Montanye, who celebrated his 28th birthday today.
- The Comets have now won five straight home games against Albion.
- The four goals scored by Olivet is the most in a game since it had four in a 4-1 win on Oct. 4, 2014, against Adrian College.
- The Comets play their final non-conference game tomorrow when they welcome Wittenberg (Ohio) University to the Cutler Athletic Complex for a 4 p.m. contest.