OLIVET, Mich. – The Olivet College men's soccer team fell to Alma College, 2-1, in a Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association (MIAA) contest today at the Cutler Athletic Complex in Olivet.
Final Score: Alma 2, Olivet 1
Location: Cutler Athletic Complex; Olivet, Mich.
Records: Olivet 1-7-1 overall, 1-1-1 MIAA; Alma 6-1-1 overall, 2-0-1 MIAA
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Three minutes and one second into the game, the Scots took a 1-0 lead behind a goal off a free kick from 30 yards out to the upper 90 of the goal at the far post.
- Alma added to its lead nine minutes later with a shot from a couple yards outside the six-yard box.
- The score stayed 2-0 at halftime.
- The Comets cut their deficit in half five minutes and 24 seconds into the half. An Alma player was whistled for a handball inside the box. Senior Gregory Petty stepped up and made the resulting penalty kick.
- Olivet had several great chances to score the equalizer but was denied every time.
FOR THE COMETS
- Olivet out-shot the Scots, 28-10, in the game.
- Petty topped the team with six shots, placing half on-frame.
- Senior Michael Brait and junior Sam Jones each had five shots.
- Junior Nathan Weeks had four saves in 90 minutes of playing time in the goal.
FOR THE SCOTS
- Noah Canlas scored both Alma goals, and had three of its 10 shots.
- Nick Strait collected six saves.
- The Comets travels to play MIAA-leader Calvin College Saturday afternoon at 2:30 p.m.