GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. – The Olivet College men's soccer team was stymied by Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association leader Calvin College, 7-0, this afternoon at Zuidema Field in Grand Rapids.
Final Score: Calvin 7, Olivet 0
Location: Zuidema Field; Grand Rapids, Mich.
Records: Calvin 7-1 overall, 4-0 MIAA; Olivet 1-8-1 overall, 1-2-1 MIAA
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Knights scored two goals in the first half in a stretch of six minutes and 10 seconds.
- There was no more scoring until Calvin netted a pair of goals separated by 85 seconds in the 61st and 62nd minutes. The Knights added to their total with two more goals in a three-minute span and capped the game's scoring on a goal with three minutes remaining.
FOR THE COMETS
- Olivet finished the game with only two shots – one each for senior Michael Brait and junior Chase Dunn.
- Junior Nathan Weeks played all 90 minutes in goal and had 11 saves.
FOR THE KNIGHTS
- Seven Calvin players – Trent Vegter, Jacob Witte, Mitch Stark, Bobby McCaw, Stephan Hooker, Micah Beard and Reid Culberson – found the back of the net. Ben Mast recorded two assists, while Vegter, Stark, Matt Hinds and Dillon Weldy each had one.
- Stark topped the team with five shots.
- Nate Van Ryn and Luke Schepers combined for the shutout in goal. Van Ryn played the first 82:04, and Schepers completed the game.
- The Comets stay on the road to face Trine (Ind.) University next Tuesday afternoon at 4 p.m.