ANGOLA, Ind. – Sophomore David Magallon's three points helped the Olivet College men's soccer team slip past Trine (Ind.) University, 2-1, this afternoon at Weaver Field in Angola, Indiana.
Final Score: Olivet 2, Trine 1
Location: Weaver Field; Angola, Ind.
Records: Olivet 2-8-1 overall, 2-2-1 MIAA; Trine 0-8-2 overall, 0-5-0 MIAA
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Comets took a 1-0 lead in the sixth minute. Freshman Courtney Skerritt took a shot which was stopped but not controlled by Trine keeper William Macedo. Magallon gathered the rebound and sent his shot into the back of the goal.
- There was no more scoring in the second half.
- The Thunder leveled the score at 1-1 with a goal by Mason Pelphrey in the 49th minute.
- Olivet answered with what proved to be the game-winning goal 55 seconds later. Senior Michael Brait scored off a pass from Magallon. Brait's goal was on a shot from five yards out and to the far post.
FOR THE COMETS
- Olivet recorded 12 total shots in the game.
- Magallon led the way with six shots, placing five on-frame.
- Freshman Tyler Marsman played all 90 minutes in goal. He faced 20 shots, but only four were on-goal, and made three saves.
FOR THE THUNDER
- Kyle Wainscott led Trine with six shots, while Pelphrey had four.
- Macedo made five saves in between the posts.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- Brait has scored the game-winning goal in each of Olivet's two wins this season.
- With the win, the Comets move into a tie for fourth-place in the MIAA standings with seven points, just two points behind third-place Adrian College.
- The Comets have now won six of last seven games against Trine. In those seven games, Olivet has out-scored Trine, 14-6-
- Olivet hosts Adrian Saturday afternoon at 2:30 p.m.