OLIVET, Mich. – The Olivet College men's soccer team came-from-behind to beat Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association (MIAA) foe Hope College, 2-1, this afternoon at the Cutler Athletic Complex in Olivet.
Final Score: Olivet 2, Hope 1
Location: Cutler Athletic Complex; Olivet, Mich.
Records: Olivet 3-9-1 overall, 3-3-1 MIAA; Hope 3-9-0 overall, 1-6-0 MIAA
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Flying Dutchmen took a 1-0 lead in the sixth minute on a free kick from 25 yards out.
- The Comets had several chances to score the equalizer, but each time the shot was stopped the keeper or sailed wide of the net.
- In the second half, Hope had a great opportunity to extend its lead but Jared Wondergem's shot hit off the cross bar. David White gathered the rebound but his shot sailed wide right of the net.
- Olivet was able to level the score at 1-1 in the 66th minute. Off a long throw-in by junior Vince Geremia, senior Michael Brait head the ball down to the feet of sophomore David Magallon who knocked the ball over the keeper's head and into the goal.
- Both teams had a chance to score the go-ahead goal.
- The Comets broke through with the winning goal in the 78th minute. Magallon gathered the ball at the top of 18-yard box and sent a crossing pass to senior Gregory Petty. Petty then sent a soft shot toward the goal which just snuck into the net at the far post.
FOR THE COMETS
- Olivet had a 17-14 advantage in total shots, including a 9-4 edge in shots-on-goal.
- Brait led the way with four shots to go along with his assist.
- Petty had three shots as well as the game-winning goal.
- Magallon took two shots in addition to his three points.
- Junior Nathan Weeks played all 90 minutes in goal and collected three saves.
FOR THE FLYING DUTCHMEN
- James Reymann scored Hope's goal and recorded a team-leading four shots.
- Wondergem and Alex Lindsey had three shots apiece.
- Blair McCormick was the losing keeper and recorded seven saves.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- Today's game was the final one for the first half of MIAA play for both teams.
- The Comets beat Hope for the second consecutive season on their home turf. Ironically, Olivet beat the Flying Dutchmen, 2-1, on Oct. 6, 2015, at the Cutler Athletic Complex.
- The game-winning goal by Petty is the second of his career. His other game-winning tally was in the Comets' 1-0 win on Oct. 24, 2015, against Trine (Ind.) University.
- Olivet welcomes Kalamazoo College to the Cutler Athletic Complex for a 2:30 p.m. Fans are reminded that it will be a Pink Out, as the Comets are playing their Second Annual Breast Cancer Awareness game. There will be a bake sale and 50/50 raffle.