ADRIAN, Mich. – The Olivet College men's soccer team started Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association (MIAA) play with a heartbreaking 2-1 overtime loss at Adrian College tonight at Docking Stadium in Adrian.
Final Score: Adrian 2, Olivet 1
Location: Docking Stadium; Adrian, Mich.
Records: Adrian 2-2 overall, 1-0 MIAA; Olivet 1-5 overall, 0-1 MIAA
HOW IT HAPPENED
- There was no scoring in the first half.
- The Bulldogs were the first team to dent the scoreboard, as Mark Proctor scored a goal off a free kick from 35 yards out.
- Olivet scored the equalizer with 18 seconds. Senior defender Evan Shambaugh knocked the ball into the net off a pass from junior Denver Bonkowski.
- For Adrian, Jordan Miller netted the game-winning goal with just three seconds left in the contest.
FOR THE COMETS
- Olivet recorded 10 shots, including a team-best three for freshman Joshua Rosendale.
- Senior Vince Geremia had two shots.
- Freshman Justin Lavin played the entire game in goal and collected three saves.
FOR THE BULLDOGS
- Adrian finished the game with 17 shots.
- Proctor had a team-best three shots.
- Luke Warrick picked-up the win in goal after tallying a pair of saves.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- The goal is only third in Shambaugh's career. His other goals were Sept. 11, 2015, against DePauw (Ind.) University and Oct. 18, 2014, against Alma College.
- The assist was Bonkowsi's first career point in a Comet uniform.
- Olivet hosts Alma College Saturday at noon in the first game of a soccer doubleheader at the Cutler Athletic Complex in Olivet. The Comet women face Albion College after the men's game at approximately 2:30 p.m.