OLIVET, Mich. – Freshman Joshua Rosendale's golden goal in double overtime lifted the Olivet College men's soccer team to a 3-2 win over Kalamazoo College on Senior Day at the Cutler Athletic Complex in Olivet.
Final Score: Olivet 3, Kalamazoo 2
Location: Cutler Athletic Complex; Olivet, Mich.
Records: Kalamzoo 8-8-2 overall, 7-6-1 MIAA; Olivet 2-12-5 overall, 1-8-5 MIAA
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Comets took a 1-0 lead in the 25th minute. Off a corner kick by junior David Magallon, Rosendale used his back to re-direct the ball into the back of the goal at the far post.
- The Hornets tied the game in the 55th minute.
- Olivet went back ahead 10 minutes later when junior Denver Bonkowski played a ball from the middle of the field up to the feet of junior Alistair Law who scored the goal.
- Kalamazoo netted the equalizer with just 32 seconds remaining in the second half.
- Neither team took a shot in the first overtime period.
- Both teams had a shot saved by the opposing keeper in the first four minutes of the second overtime session.
- Rosendale scored the game-winning goal with 2:30 left. Senior Evan Shirkey was credited with an assist.
FOR THE COMETS
- Olivet finished with 10 total shots.
- Rosendale topped the team with four shots.
- Freshman Justin Lavin played the entire game in goal and collected six saves.
FOR THE HORNETS
- Thomas Bryant and Jonathan Nord scored the goals.
- Bryant also had a team-leading five shots before being ejected from the game for receiving a red card late in the second half.
- Brad Carlson suffered the loss in net, as he made three saves.