BLUFFTON, Ohio – Senior Alistair Law broke the single-game school record with five goals and 10 points to lead the Olivet College men's soccer team to a 5-2 win over Bluffton (Ohio) University this afternoon at Alumni Field in Bluffton, Ohio.
Final Score: Olivet 5, Bluffton 2
Location: Alumni Field; Bluffton, Ohio
Records: Bluffton 1-3 overall, Olivet 1-3 overall
- Law's first goal was scored just two minutes and 29 seconds into the game. Sophomore Dean Failer's free kick went into the box. Sophomore Bradley Payne headed the ball to Law's feet who took a shot from 12 yards out and into the net at the far post.
- Law stretched the lead to 2-0 in the 18th minute. Bluffton failed to clear the ball from its defensive end. Law's shot from 30 yards out hit off the crossbar and far post before going into the goal.
- A little over 10 minutes later, Law's shot from 10 yards out went into the net at the near post. Senior David Magallon earned the assist on the goal.
- The Beavers scored two goals late in the first half to make the score 3-2 at halftime.
- The Comets gained their two-goal cushion back in the 83rd minute when Law's free kick from 25 yards out sailed over the wall and into the goal at the near post.
- Fifty seconds later, Bluffton was called for a foul in the box. Law stepped to the spot and his penalty kick shot found the back of the net.
- Olivet out-shot the Beavers, 28-12, including a 15-5 edge in shots-on-goal.
- Law finished with 10 total shots, with seven being placed on-frame.
- Magallon and sophomore Joshua Rosendale each had four shots.
- Sophomore Justin Lavin earned the win in goal. He played all 90 minutes and collected three saves.
- Christian Parker and Patrick Spillman scored the goals.
- Dalton Taynor recorded a team-leading three shots.
- Hunter Fleck suffered the goalie loss, as he surrendered all five goals and made nine saves.
- The previous school record for goals was four on three other occasions, most recently by Josh Toussaint against Adrian College on Oct. 8, 2002. The previous points' record was eight on five other occasions, with Toussaint's eight points against Adrian being the most recent time.
- The Comets' five goals is the most in a game since Nov. 2, 2013, when they also scored five against Trine (Ind.) University.
- Today's game was the second all-time meeting between the two schools. Olivet won the first meeting, 7-0, on Sept. 17, 2001.
- Olivet stays in Ohio tonight to play at Wittenberg (Ohio) University tomorrow at 11 a.m. The start time was moved up two hours due to the impending weather.