OLIVET, Mich. – The Olivet College men's soccer team stepped out of conference play for the final time this season and shutout Finlandia University, 3-0, this afternoon at the Cutler Athletic Complex in Olivet.
Final Score: Olivet 3, Finlandia 0
Location: Cutler Athletic Complex; Olivet, Mich.
Records: Finlandia 1-10-1 overall, Olivet 5-8-1 overall
- The Comets took a 1-0 lead in the 21st minute. Freshman Dominik Burmeister sent a ball into the box, where senior David Magallon re-directed the ball into the goal at the far post.
- The score remained 1-0 at halftime.
- Olivet stretched its lead to 2-0 in the 68th minute. Magallon's corner kick ricocheted off the cross bar and near post before senior Alistair Law gathered the ball and snuck the ball past the keeper.
- The Comets had several chances to score another goal, as they peppered the goal with seven shots in a 10-minute span.
- Olivet did net the insurance goal in the 81st minute. Sophomore Charles Halt poked the ball into the side netting of the goal at the near post. Freshman Joe Griffus was credited with an assist on the goal.
- Olivet out-shot the Lions, 23-1.
- Magallon tallied a team-high six shots to go along with his goal and assist.
- Law recorded five shots.
- Freshman Brendan Ihm picked-up the win in goal. He made the save on the only shot he faced.
- Javier Martinez notched Finlandia's only shot.
- Noah Raisanen was the losing keeper after allowing all three goals and making eight saves.
- The Comets resume Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association play Wednesday when it hosts Calvin College at 4 p.m. The Knights enter the game as the No. 2 ranked team according to the D3soccer.com Top 25 poll and No. 3 by the United Soccer Coaches.