OLIVET, Mich. – The Olivet College men's soccer team fell to Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association (MIAA) leader and nationally-ranked Calvin College, 5-1, this afternoon at the Cutler Athletic Complex in Olivet. The Knights entered the game ranked No. 2 in the D3soccer.com and No. 4 in the United Soccer Coaches Top 25 polls.
Final Score: Calvin 5, Olivet 1
Location: Cutler Athletic Complex; Olivet, Mich.
Records: Olivet 5-9-1 overall, 0-5 MIAA; Calvin 13-1 overall, 5-0 MIAA
- The Knights scored their first goal in the 11th minute.
- Calvin added another goal in the 21st minute on a penalty kick after an Olivet player was called for a handball in the box.
- The Knights scored three more goals to extend their lead to 5-0 at halftime. The last two goals came in a span of less than two minutes.
- The Comets scored the only goal in the second half when senior David Magallon converted a penalty kick. With that goal, Olivet became the first MIAA team to tally a goal against the Knights. It was also only the seventh goal conceded by the Knights during the 2018 season.
- Olivet finished the game with three shots.
- Sophomore Joshua Rosendale recorded two shots, including one on-goal in the 43rd minute.
- Sophomore Justin Lavin allowed all five goals and made six saves in 72 minutes and 15 seconds of action in goal.
- Freshman Brendan Ihm stopped two Calvin shots.
- Bobby McCaw scored twice, while Jacob Witte, Hunter Olson and Lucas Albrecht each scored one goal.
- Ian Adams and Dillon Weldy notched two assists apiece.
- McCaw tallied six of the 20 Calvin shots.
- Luke Schepers earned the win in goal, as he had one save.
- Olivet hosts Albion College Saturday at 4 p.m. Prior to the game, the Comets will recognize their three seniors who will playing in their final home game.