YPSILANTI, Mich. – The Olivet College men's tennis team defeated Concordia University-Ann Arbor, 8-1, today at the Chippewa Tennis Club in Ypsilanti.
Final Score: Olivet 8, Concordia 1
Location: Chippewa Tennis Club; Ypsilanti, Mich.
Records: Olivet 1-2 overall, Concordia 0-2 overall
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Cardinals had only five players, so the Comets picked-up default wins at No. 3 doubles and No. 6 singles.
- The teams split the two doubles flights that were played, and Olivet won all five singles matches.
FOR THE COMETS
- The No. 1 doubles duo of sophomores Zachary Croze and Aaron Green won a 9-8 (4) pro-set. Freshman Donald Doyle and junior Ben Morris picked-up the default win at No. 3 doubles.
- Croze cruised to a 6-1, 6-1 victory at No. 1 singles.
- Freshman Drew Gilmer was leading his No. 2 singles match 2-1 in the first set when his competitor retired due to an injury.
- Green posted a 7-5, 6-2 win at No. 3 singles.
- Freshman Noah Bindschatel lost only three games en route to a 6-2, 6-1 win at No. 4 singles.
- At No. 5 singles, Doyle lost the first set 6-1 before bouncing back to win the second set, 7-6 (4). He then won the match tie-breaker, 10-4.
- Sophomore Tyler Nobel received the default win at No. 6 singles.
- Olivet participates in the Defiance (Ohio) College Invitational on Saturday, starting at 9 a.m.