CHICAGO, Ill. – The Olivet College men's volleyball team was swept by non-conference foe Illinois Institute of Technology in three sets this evening at the Keating Sports Center in Chicago.
Final Score: Illinois Tech def. Olivet 25-20, 25-19, 25-18
Location: Keating Sports Center; Chicago, Ill.
Records: Olivet 6-11 overall, Illinois Tech 9-15 overall
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Scarlet Hawks never trailed in the first set, leading by as many as nine points. After the last time at 23-14, the Comets put six of the next seven points on the scoreboard to close the gap to 24-20. An Illinois Tech kill ended the set.
- In the second set, Olivet led 1-0 and 3-2 before the Scarlet Hawks went on a 3-0 run for a 5-3 lead. Illinois Tech did not relinquish its advantage for the remainder of the set.
- In the third set, the Scarlet Hawks raced out to a 4-0 lead. The Comets chipped away at their deficit and eventually took a 10-9 lead. Illinois Tech countered with a 3-0 run to go up 12-10. Olivet scored the next two points to level the score. Another 3-0 run by Scarlet Hawks put them ahead for good.
FOR THE COMETS
- Senior Rhett Pringle and sophomore Trent Robinson each had six kills.
- Robinson posted a .308 attack percentage with only two errors on 13 attempts. He also had two solo and two assisted blocks.
- Freshman Tanner Gardenour tallied 17 set assists.
- Robinson led all players with 10 digs.
FOR THE SCARLET HAWKS
- Lukasz Kupiec finished with a match-high 18 kills.
- Cinjun Coe was next with 15 kills.
- Ben Peschl collected 34 set assists.
- Coe also recorded a team-leading nine digs.
- The Comets host Augustana (Ill.) College in a Midwest Collegiate Volleyball League match Friday night at 7 p.m.