ROCK ISLAND, Ill. – The Olivet College men's volleyball team fell to Midwest Collegiate Volleyball League (MCVL) rival Augustana (Ill.) College in straight sets this afternoon at the Roy J. Carver Center for Physical Education in Rock Island, Illinois.
Final Score: Augustana def. Olivet 25-21, 28-26, 25-15
Location: Roy J. Carver Center for Physical Education; Rock Island, Illinois.
Records: Olivet 1-11 overall, 0-3 MCVL; Augustana 9-11 overall, 3-1 MCVL
- In the first set, the Comets led by as many as seven points, 16-9. Olivet continued to hold a six-point lead at 19-13. The Vikings outscored the Comets, 12-2, for the remainder of the set to win it 25-21.
- In the second set, Olivet scored the first three points before Augustana went on a 5-1 spurt to take its first lead. The teams traded 3-0 scoring runs to keep the difference at a single point, 8-7. From there, the Comets led by two points on three occasions. After the last time at 20-18, the Vikings put three straight points on the scoreboard for a 21-20 lead. Olivet came back to take a 24-23 led. Augustana responded with two points to go ahead 25-24. Olivet fought off two set points to even the score at 25-25 and 26-26. Two Viking kills ended the set in their favor.
- With the exception of three tied scores early in the third set, Augustana never trailed in the third set.
- Olivet finished the match with 30 kills, including a match-high nine by junior Brock Pringle.
- Junior Trenton Robinson was next with seven kills, while juniors Deivan Prince and Zach Pringle each had six kills.
- Junior Aaron Giorgi recorded 26 set assists.
- Prince tallied a team-best 10 digs.
- Justin Murphy and Jason Szara led Augustana with eight kills apiece.
- Caleb Minnis had seven kills.
- Sanchit Khaitan registered 32 set assists.
- Matthew Schiferl collected a team-best 13 digs.
- Olivet hosts Aquinas College next Wednesday, March 20, at 7 p.m.