ANGOLA, Ind. – The Olivet College men's volleyball team came-from-behind to beat Midwest Collegiate Volleyball League (MCVL) rival Trine (Ind.) University in five sets this afternoon at Hershey Hall in Angola, Indiana. The Comets won the first set, 25-13, before the Thunder won the next two sets 25-13 and 26-24. Olivet claimed a 25-18 win in the fourth set and won the deciding set 17-15.
Final Score: Olivet def. Trine 25-13, 13-25, 24-26, 25-18, 17-15
Location: Hershey Hall; Angola, Indiana
Records: Olivet 2-13 overall, 1-4 MCVL; Trine 6-19 overall, 0-5 MCVL
- In the first set, the Comets had six kills but took advantage of 13 Thunder attack errors to post a 25-13 win.
- The second set was the opposite of the first set, as Trine hit at a .550 clip and used 11 Olivet attack errors for a 25-13 victory.
- The Comets had a six-point cushion, 18-12, in the third set. Trine chipped away at its deficit and eventually evened the score at 22-22. Olivet took a pair of one-point leads at 23-22 and 24-23 before the Thunder scored the last three points of the set.
- In the fourth set, the Comets used an 11-0 run to turn a 7-4 deficit into a 15-7 lead. Trine came back to close the gap to three points, 19-16, but Olivet held on to force a fifth set.
- Olivet was down 5-3 in the deciding set. Three Comets kills and an ace put them ahead 7-5. The Thunder battled back to take a 14-13 lead. Two Trine attack errors handed the lead back to Olivet, 15-14. A Comet service error tied the set. A kill by junior Trent Robinson put Olivet on top and a Thunder attack error provided the winning point.
- Sophomore Dan Hayes hammered down a team-best 13 kills and posted a .391 attack percentage. He also had seven blocks (two solo and five assisted).
- Juniors Deivan Prince and Brock Pringle each had 10 kills.
- Junior Aaron Giorgi had a double-double with 39 set assists and 11 digs.
- Sophomore Tanner Gardenour registered a match-best 12 digs.
- Eric Santiago-Garcia finished with 14 kills.
- Hunter Monday dished out 40 assists.
- Kyle Dixon and Raviel Winters had nine digs apiece.
- Olivet returns home to face Carthage (Wis.) College next Friday, March 29. First serve at the Cutler Event Center is 7 p.m.