OLIVET, Mich. – The Olivet College men's volleyball team came up short in three sets to Midwest Collegiate Volleyball League (MCVL) foe North Central (Ill.) College this morning at the Cutler Event Center in Olivet. The Cardinals won all three sets by identical 25-18 scores.
Final Score: North Central def. Olivet 25-18, 25-18, 25-18
Location: Cutler Event Center; Olivet, Mich.
Records: Olivet 3-15 overall, 1-6 MCVL; North Central 16-9 overall, 6-2 MCVL
- The Comets scored the first point of the first set. From there, the Cardinals went on a 6-1 run and did not relinquish their lead for the remainder of the set.
- The teams traded the first 10 points of the second set to create five tied scores. North Central surged ahead by three points, 9-6. Olivet answered with a 5-1 spurt to take the lead back 11-10. Four straight Cardinal kills put them ahead, 14-11. North Central extended its lead to four points twice. After the last time at 20-16, a Comet kill and service ace made the score 20-18. The Cardinals ended the set on a 5-0 run.
- Early in the third set, North Central built a four-point lead, 10-6. Olivet rallied back with a 5-1 run to even the score at 11-11. Following another tie at 12-12, the Cardinals put three consecutive points on the scoreboard and did not trail for the rest of the set.
- After posting a negative hitting percentage in the first set, Olivet hit .214 in the second set and .240 in the third set.
- Junior Trent Robinson topped the team with eight kills, .227 attack percentage and eight digs.
- Juniors Deivan Prince and Brock Pringle each had five kills.
- Sophomore Dan Hayes recorded three kills and four blocks (two solo and two assisted).
- Junior Aaron Giorgi collected 20 set assists.
- North Central had a .367 attack percentage, including a .429 clip in the opening set.
- Bozhidar Kolev and Anthony Klusak finished with 11 kills apiece.
- Kluzak did not have any errors on 13 attempts for a .846 hitting percentage.
- Michael Trunzo tallied 41 set assists.
- Samuel Kharasch recorded a match-best 10 digs.
- Olivet concludes its season next Friday and Saturday with home matches. On Friday night, the Comets face Fontbonne (Mo.) University at 7 p.m., and on Saturday morning, they play Greenville (Ill.) University at 11 a.m.