OLIVET, Mich. – The Olivet College men's volleyball team lost in three sets to Midwest Collegiate Volleyball League (MCVL) rival Fontbonne (Mo.) University this evening at the Cutler Event Center in Olivet. The Griffins won by scores of 25-7, 25-23, 25-11.
Final Score: Fontbonne def. Olivet 25-7, 25-23, 25-11
Location: Cutler Event Center; Olivet, Mich.
Records: Olivet 3-16 overall, 1-7 MCVL; Fontbonne 22-2 overall, 6-2 MCVL
- The Griffins had a wire-to-wire lead in the first set.
- With the score knotted at 6-6 in the second set, the Comets went on a 9-3 run to take their largest lead at 15-6. Fontbonne used a 5-0 spurt to turn a 20-17 deficit into a 22-20 lead. Olivet closed the gap to a single point three times at 22-21, 23-22 and 24-23. A Comet service error ended the set in favor of the Griffins.
- Early in the third set, the Comets led by two points, 4-2. Fontbonne answered with three straight points before an Olivet points evened the score at 5-5. The Griffins put the next three points on the scoreboard and did not relinquish its advantage for the rest of the set.
- Junior Brock Pringle slammed down nine of the 24 Olivet kills.
- Sophomore Dan Hayes and junior Trent Robinson were next with five kills apiece.
- Junior Aaron Giorgi recorded 19 set assists.
- Sophomore Tanner Gardenour topped the back row with 10 digs.
- Fontbonne tallied 37 kills, including a match-high 11 by Mark Klusman.
- Kyler van Rossum-O'Connell dished out 34 set assists.
- Cameron Way and Zach Rothstein collected 11 and 10 digs, respectively.
- Olivet concludes its season tomorrow morning when it hosts Greenville (Ill.) University at 11 a.m.