OLIVET, Mich. – The Olivet College softball team split a doubleheader with Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association (MIAA) rival Hope College today at the Cutler Athletic Complex in Olivet. Freshman Kaylee Clothier hit a walk-off two-run home run to lift the Comets past the Flying Dutch in the first game, 7-5. Hope salvaged the split with a 13-8 win in the nightcap.
Final Score: Olivet 7, Hope 5; Hope 13, Olivet 8
Location: Cutler Athletic Complex; Olivet, Mich.
Records: Hope 15-7 overall, 3-3 MIAA; Olivet 15-13 overall, 4-6 MIAA
- The Comets took a 1-0 lead in the first inning when senior Kinslea Blouin hit her team-leading eighth home run of the season.
- Olivet added to its lead in the third inning. Junior Payton Watson lined a double to the right-center field gap. Blouin drew a walk. Clothier cleared the bases with a three-run home run over the fence in left-center field.
- The Comets used a two-out rally to score a run in the fourth inning. Sophomore Erin Scanlon hit a double to center field, and came around to cross the plate on Watson's single.
- The Flying Dutch plated one run in the sixth inning.
- Hope then strung together five hits in the top half of the seventh to score four runs and tie the game at 5-5.
- In the seventh inning, senior Andrea Rico reached base on an error. After the second out was recorded, Clothier deposited the first pitch she saw over the centerfield fence for the walk-off home run.
- Clothier was 3-for-5 with two home runs, a single and five RBI.
- Watson went 2-for-4 with a double and a single.
- Junior Jazmin Hildebrand also had two hits.
- Junior Gracie Boyle threw all seven innings to earn the win. She gave up five earned runs on nine hits.
- Arinn King was 2-for-4.
- Kaelin Callow had two doubles.
- Chloe Haskins was charged with the pitching loss. She allowed seven runs (five earned) on 10 hits.
- Hope batted around and scored seven runs in the first inning.
- The Comets pushed across two runs in the top half of the third inning on a two-run double by Rico.
- The Flying Dutch got one run back in the last half of the third.
- Olivet made the score 8-7 after scoring five runs in the fourth inning. Scanlon capped the scoring with a two-run home run.
- Hope responded with four runs – two in the fourth and two in the fifth – to extend its lead to 12-7.
- The Comets scored their final run in the sixth inning when freshman Dayoni Mahlich hit a solo home run.
- The Flying Dutch capped their scoring with a run in their half of the sixth.
- Olivet was held to six hits.
- Scanlon recorded two hits and two RBI.
- Sophomore Kayla Blett had two hits, including a double.
- Blett, Mahlich and Scanlon scored two runs apiece.
- Boyle was tagged with the pitching loss after giving up six runs (five earned) on six hits over one and two-thirds innings.
- Rico and freshman Danielle Erickson pitched in relief.
- Hope tallied 19 total hits, with 17 singles and two doubles.
- Whitney Wegener was 4-for-4 with two runs and two RBI.
- Jo Cook was 4-for-5 with two runs and three RBI.
- Savannah Dixon had three hits.
- Three pitchers saw action in the circle. Maddie Nise earned the win, and Avery Slancik picked-up the save.
- Scanlon's and Mahlich's home runs were the first of their collegiate career.
- Blouin did not get a hit in the second game to snap a 15-game hitting streak.
- Blouin has now hit eight home runs this season and is only one shy of tying the Olivet single-season record of nine by Beth Shunkwiler in 2005.
- The Comets travel to play Albion College Saturday at 1 p.m.