ALBION, Mich. – The Olivet College softball team swept a doubleheader from Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association (MIAA) rival Albion College, 10-1 and 9-6, today at Davis Athletic Complex and on Dempsey Field in Albion.
Final Score: Olivet 10, Albion 1 (5); Olivet 9, Albion 6
Location: Dempsey Field; Albion, Mich.
Records: Albion 7-25 overall, 0-8 MIAA; Olivet 17-13 overall, 6-6 MIAA
- The Comets plated one run in the first inning on an RBI-single by freshman Kaylee Clothier.
- Olivet sent nine batters to the plate and scored six runs in the second inning. Highlighting the inning was a two-run double by Clothier and a two-run homer by junior Jazmin Hildebrand.
- The Britons used a single and a double to score their run in the home half of the second.
- The Comets added one run in each of the next three innings to end the game early due to the eight-run mercy rule.
- All nine starters had at least one hit.
- Clothier was 2-for-3 with three RBI.
- Freshman Dayoni Mahlich was 2-for-2 with two runs scored.
- Sophomore Erin Scanlon also had two hits and drove in two runs.
- In the circle, junior Gracie Boyle earned the complete game, pitching win. She scattered six hits over the five innings.
- Rebecca Rodriguez had two hits, including a double, and drove in the only Albion run.
- Megan Deckrow suffered the pitching loss, allowing 10 runs (five earned) on 12 hits over five innings.
- Olivet seized a 3-0 lead in the second inning on a two-run double by freshman Karina Marin and an RBI-double by Mahlich.
- Albion answered with three runs in the third inning and three more runs in the fourth inning for a 6-3 lead.
- The Comets came back with three runs in the last half of the fourth to tie the game. Hildebrand led off the inning with a solo home run. Later in the inning, sophomore Kayla Blett hit a sacrifice fly to score the second run and senior Andrea Rico had an RBI-single.
- Olivet grabbed a 7-6 lead in the fifth inning after senior Kinslea Blouin and Clothier hit back-to-back doubles.
- The Comets added two insurance runs in the sixth inning when sophomore Paige Poulter hit a pinch-hit, two-run home run.
- The Britons had the tying run at the plate in the seventh with no outs. Olivet got out of the inning with an out at third base and a fly out double play to end the game.
- Olivet recorded 11 total hits.
- Blouin, Hildebrand and junior Taylor Shellenberger each had two hits.
- Hildebrand's hits were a home run and single, and Blouin's and Shellenberger's hits were a double and single.
- Marin and Poulter each drove in two runs.
- Boyle picked-up the pitching win after throwing three scoreless innings.
- Shellenberger started in the circle and gave up three runs on three hits over three innings.
- Rico allowed three runs on two hits in an inning of relief.
- Albion registered eight hits.
- Eryn VanderVlucht was 2-for-3.
- Grace Connolly collected two RBI.
- VanderVlucht was tagged with the pitching loss after surrendering nine runs (seven earned) on 11 hits over six innings.
- With the three home runs today, Olivet has broken the single-season team record for homer with 23. The previous was record was 22 during the 2016 season.
- The Comets travel to play Cornerstone University on Monday for a non-conference doubleheader, starting at 3:30 p.m. Please note, the location has been changed from previously released schedules.