HOLLAND, Mich. – The Olivet College women's basketball team fell to Hope College, 81-56, tonight in a Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association (MIAA) contest inside the Devos Fieldhouse in Holland.
Final Score: Hope 81, Olivet 56
Location: Devos Fieldhouse; Holland, Mich.
Records: Hope 4-0 overall, 1-0 MIAA; Olivet 2-2 overall, 1-1 MIAA
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Flying Dutch scored the first six points. Three-pointers by freshmen Sydnee Dennis and Bridget Garter tied the game, 6-6, at 5:46 mark of the first quarter. Olivet went ahead 8-6 after senior Kadesha Taylor made a basket. After a Hope basket to even the score, Taylor drained two free throws to make the score 10-8. The Flying Dutch ended the quarter on a 12-0 run to go ahead, 20-10.
- Hope scored six of the first seven points to start the second quarter and lead 26-11 at the 6:37 mark. Neither team scored for more than two minutes until a pair of free throws by junior Shawnee Dame with 4:10 left in the second stanza. The Comets cut their deficit down to 11 points, 29-18, before a Flying Dutch made a basket to make the score 31-18 at halftime.
- The closest Olivet would get in the second half was 14 points at 55-41 with 9:05 remaining in the fourth quarter.
FOR THE COMETS
- Taylor paced Olivet with 15 points.
- Junior Shannon Dingman came off the bench to score 14 points.
- Dame had nine points.
- Junior Taylor Jungel had eight rebounds, four blocks, two assists and two steals.
FOR THE FLYING DUTCH
- Francesca Buchanan posted a double-double with game-highs in points (18) and rebounds (19).
- Kenedy Schoonveld chipped-in 13 points.
- Olivet travels to Kalamazoo tomorrow to play Western Michigan University at 7 p.m.