OLIVET, Mich. – The Olivet College women's basketball team closed out the 2017-18 season with an 87-47loss to nationally-ranked Hope College on Senior Day at The Cutler Event Center in Olivet.
Final Score: Hope 87, Olivet 48
Location: The Cutler Event Center; Olivet, Mich.
Records: Hope 24-1 overall, 15-1 MIAA; Olivet 7-17 overall, 3-13 MIAA
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Olivet won the opening tip and quickly made the first basket of the game. The Comets did not score another point until the 1:20 mark. In between those times, the Flying Dutch put 24 points on the scoreboard. Olivet scored six of the final eight points to trail 26-8 at the end of the first stanza.
- Hope out-scored the Comets 20-11 in the second quarter to take a 46-19 lead into the locker room at halftime.
- The Flying Dutch stretched their lead to 29 points twice in the early stages of the third quarter. Olivet battled back and cut its deficit down to 12 points, 56-44, with 35 seconds left in the third period. Hope scored a basket to make the score 58-44 entering the fourth quarter.
- The Comets were unable to keep the momentum going in the final quarter.
FOR THE COMETS
- Junior Shawnee Dame posted a double-double, 15 points and 11 rebounds, to lead Olivet.
- Senior Kadesha Taylor contributed 12 points.
FOR THE FLYING DUTCH
- Hope had four players score in double figures.
- Francesca Buchanan led the way with 16 points.
- Kenedy Schoonveld contributed 14 points.
- Victoria Swift came off the bench to score 12 points.
- Madison Geers added 11 points.
- Buchanan pulled down a team-leading 10 rebounds.