OLIVET, Mich. – The Olivet College women's basketball team suffered an 81-70 loss to Heidelberg (Ohio) University in its season-opener tonight at The Cutler Event Center in Olivet.
Final Score: Heidelberg 81, Olivet 70
Location: The Cutler Event Center; Olivet, Mich.
Records: Heidelberg 1-0 overall, Olivet 0-1 overall
- The Comets made their first four baskets, including two from behind the arc, and two free throws to open up an eight-point lead, 13-5. The Student Prices responded with a 14-3 run over the next three and one-half minutes to take a 19-16 lead. Olivet scored a basket before Heidelberg netted the final three points of the first quarter for a 22-18 advantage.
- The Student Princes stretched their lead to double figures for the first time, 31-21, at the 5:39 mark of the second stanza. The Comets answered with 7-1 run to cut their deficit down to four points. The teams traded baskets until two free throws and a layup put Heidelberg up by eight, 40-32, at halftime.
- One minute into the third quarter, the Student Princes increased their lead to 12 points, 44-32. Olivet battled back and closed the gap to five points, 49-44, with 2:43 left in the period. Nearly two minutes elapsed from the clock before Heidelberg scored the final four points in the final 44 seconds of the quarter to take a nine-point advantage, 53-44.
- The Comets fought back in the fourth quarter and trailed by only one point, 58-57, at the 5:54 mark. The Student Princes scored six straight points to go back up by seven, 64-57. Olivet came back with another run to trim the Heidelberg lead down to two points, 71-69, with 1:37 remaining. The Comets did not get any closer for the rest of the game.
- The teams combined for 64 fouls – 24 for Heidelberg and 40 for Olivet. The Student Princes made 38-of-49 free throws, and the Comets were 25-of-31 at the charity stripe.
- Four players reached double figures in the scoring column.
- Freshman Beth Chick scored a team-high 14 points.
- Seniors Daitriona Bonds and Shawnee Dame, and junior Shae Daniels each scored 12 points.
- Chick and Daniels grabbed seven rebounds apiece.
- Alyssa Riley led all players with 22 points.
- Madelyn Crawford added 13 points and eight rebounds.
- Leah Bouillon finished with 10 points and eight rebounds.
- Aianna Wilson dished out six assists.
- Olivet hosts Great Lakes Christian College next Tuesday, Nov. 13, at 7 p.m.