OLIVET, Mich. – The Olivet College women's basketball team rallied from a 10-point halftime deficit to beat Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association (MIAA) foe Alma College, 70-66, today at the Cutler Athletic Complex in Olivet.
Final Score: Olivet 70, Alma 66
Location: Cutler Event Center; Olivet, Mich.
Records: Alma 6-4 overall, 1-2 MIAA; Olivet 4-3 overall, 1-2 MIAA
- The Scots raced out to a 9-0 lead. The Comets countered with an 11-2 run to tie the game. The teams traded baskets and free throws over the final 4:06 of the opening stanza, with Alma holding a two-point cushion, 19-17, at the end of the quarter.
- Olivet took its first lead of the game, 22-21, at the 7:55 mark of the second quarter. The Scots responded by scoring 19 of the next 27 points to take a 10-point lead, 40-30. The Comets got a free throw to make the score 40-32 before two Alma free throws created a 42-32 halftime score.
- The Scots maintained their lead for the duration of the third quarter and led by three points, 56-53, to start the fourth quarter.
- Over the first four minutes and 47 seconds of the final quarter, Olivet outscored Alma, 15-2, to surge ahead by 10 points, 68-58. The Scots fought back and trimmed their deficit down to three points twice, but never any closer for the remainder of the game.
- Sophomore Fayth Talbert posted a double-double, 14 points and 11 rebounds, to lead Olivet. She also had a game-high five blocked shots and four steals.
- Sophomore Grace Clark and senior Breauna Rivoli-Johnson each scored 14 points.
- Jenny Brandt came off the bench to score 11 points and grab 11 rebounds.
- Hannah Syme netted 14 points.
- Madeline Barnauskas tallied 11 points.
- Emily Eldridge and Charley Hengesbach pulled down 11 and 10 rebounds, respectively.
- Olivet travels to play Calvin College next Tuesday, Dec. 11, at 7:30 p.m.