GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. – The Olivet College women's basketball team fell to Calvin College, 70-66, in a Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association (MIAA) contest tonight at Van Noord Arena in Grand Rapids.
Final Score: Calvin 70, Olivet 66
Location: Van Noord Arena; Grand Rapids, Mich.
Records: Calvin 5-4 overall, 2-1 MIAA; Olivet 4-4 overall, 1-3 MIAA
- Early in the game, the Knights led by six points twice. After the last time at 10-4, the Comets went on a 6-0 run to level the score. The teams traded three-pointers before Calvin countered with a 5-0 run to go ahead 18-13. There was no more scoring in the final two minutes and eight seconds of the first quarter.
- In the second quarter, Olivet took its first lead, 23-21, after junior Tammy Lee and sophomore Grace Clark made back-to-back three-pointers. The Knights took the lead back 24-23 before a three-pointer by senior Shawnee Lee handed the lead back to the Comets, 26-24, with 1:51 left before halftime. Calvin responded with a 4-0 run to go ahead 28-26. Olivet made three free throws – two by sophomore Fayth Talbert and one by Dame – in the last minute of the quarter to take a 29-28 lead at halftime.
- The Comets stretched their lead to as many as six points, 38-32, at the 7:19 mark of the third quarter. The Knights chipped away at their deficit and eventually took a 42-41 lead. Talbert grabbed an offensive rebound and made a layup to put Olivet ahead 43-42 at the end of the third quarter.
- Calvin opened the fourth quarter by scoring eight straight points to go ahead 50-43. The Knights extended their lead to as many as 11 points, 63-52, at the 2:34 mark. A late push helped the Comets cut the Calvin advantage down to only two points, 68-66, with only 1.8 seconds remaining in the game.
- As a team, Olivet out-rebounded Calvin 44-42, with a 24-18 edge on the offensive glass.
- The Comets made one more basket, including five more from behind the three-point arc. The difference in the game was the Knights drained 23 free throws compared to 12 for Olivet.
- Talbert scored a career-high 20 points on 6-of-15 field goals and 8-of-11 free throws.
- Dame had a double-double with 14 points and game-high 10 rebounds.
- Dame and Talbert each had four assists.
- Dame made three steals.
- Gabby Timmer led all scorers with 24 points.
- Beeca Richards was next with 14 points.
- Rachel Warners pulled down nine rebounds and blocked three shots.
- Olivet is on the road Thursday night to play Calumet College of St. Joseph (Ind.). Tip-off at the Rittenmeyer Center in Whiting, Indiana, is 6 p.m. CT/7 p.m. ET.