ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. – The Olivet College women's basketball team dropped a 69-65 decision to Fontbonne (Mo.) University tonight in its opening game at the St. Pete's Classic and inside the McArthur Center in St. Petersburg, Florida.
Final Score: Fontbonne 69, Olivet 65
Location: McArthur Center; St. Petersburg, Fla.
Records: Fontbonne 4-6 overall, Olivet 5-5 overall
- The first half was a tale of two quarters. The Comets held a 10-point lead, 20-10, at the end of the first quarter. The Griffins outscored Olivet, 26-9, in the second quarter to take a 36-29 halftime lead.
- In the third quarter, the Comets trimmed their deficit down to a single point, 40-39, at the 5:29 mark. Over the next two minutes, Fontbonne made six free throws to puts its lead back to seven points. The Griffins maintained that seven-point cushion for a 49-42 lead entering the fourth quarter.
- Olivet closed the gap to a single point, 59-58, with 3:43 left in the game after senior Shawnee Dame made a free throw to complete a three-point play. The Comets were unable to draw any closer for the rest of the contest.
- Three players reached double figures in the scoring column.
- Dame led the way with 15 points.
- Sophomore Grace Clark contributed 12 points on four three-point baskets.
- Junior Tammy Lee finished with 11 points.
- Freshman Beth Chick grabbed a game-best 10 rebounds.
- Rylee Stafford scored a game-high 20 points.
- Riley Guffey and Raven Venegas had 13 and 11 points, respectively.
- Raven Venegas and Jillian Venegas pulled down seven rebounds apiece.
- Paige Black recorded seven assists.
- Olivet stays in Florida and plays Hartwick (N.Y.) College tomorrow afternoon at 3 p.m.