ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. – The Olivet College women's basketball team lost to Hartwick (N.Y.) College, 74-52, this afternoon its second game at the St. Pete's Classic inside the McArthur Center in St. Petersburg, Florida.
Final Score: Hartwick 74, Olivet 52
Location: McArthur Center; St. Petersburg, Fla.
Records: Hartwick 7-2 overall, Olivet 5-6 overall
- In the first quarter, Hartwick led by five points, 8-3. The Comets answered with a 7-0 run to take their first lead. The Hawks tied the game with two free throws before a three-pointer by sophomore Grace Clark put Olivet ahead by three points, 13-10. Hartwick responded with a triple but the Comets took the lead at the end of the quarter, 15-13, after Clark made a layup.
- The Hawks start the second quarter on a 14-2 run to gain a 10-point advantage, 27-17. Olivet fought back with an 8-1 spurt to trim its deficit down to three points. Hartwick countered with an 11-2 run to push its lead back to 10 points, 37-27, at the 1:25 mark. The Comets made a free throw in the final minute of the quarter to trail by only nine points, 37-28, at halftime.
- Olivet scored the first four points of the third quarter to cut the Hawk lead down to five points, 37-32. The Comets failed to get any closer for the rest of the game.
- The five starters combined to score 41 of the 52 points.
- Clark topped the team with 12 points.
- Senior Shawnee Dame and freshman Beth Chick each scored eight points.
- Chick and sophomore Fayth Talbert grabbed seven rebounds apiece.
- Carly Johnson scored a game-high 20 points.
- Kelly Pine added 17 points.
- Maggie Kirby had 10 points.
- Mary Schoenherr pulled down eight rebounds.
- Olivet returns home to Michigan and is back on the court in one week, Dec. 27, against University of Michigan-Dearborn. Tip-off at the Cutler Event Center is 7 p.m.