OLIVET, Mich. – Senior Shawnee Dame nearly had a double-double, 16 points and nine rebounds, to lead the Olivet College women's basketball team to a 71-56 win over Kalamazoo College in a Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association (MIAA) contest tonight at the Cutler Event Center in Olivet.
Final Score: Olivet 71, Kalamazoo 56
Location: Cutler Event Center; Olivet, Mich.
Records: Kalamazoo 0-22 overall, 0-13 MIAA; Olivet 7-15 overall, 3-10 MIAA
- In the first quarter, the Comets led 6-0 before the Hornets answered with a 7-0 run to go up 7-6 at the 5:19 mark. In the final 5:19 of the period, there were four tied scores, including 14-14 at the end of it.
- With the score knotted at 16-16 in the second quarter, Olivet went on a 17-7 run to take its largest lead in the game, 33-23, with 2:09 left until halftime. Kalamazoo used a basket and three-pointer to trim its deficit in half. Junior Tammy Lee split two free throws with 0.8 seconds showing on the clock to give the Comets a six-point cushion, 34-28, at the intermission.
- In the third quarter, Olivet extended its lead to nine points, 48-39, at the 1:56 mark. The Hornets closed the quarter on a 7-2 run to make the score 50-46 entering the final quarter.
- The Comets out-scored Kalamazoo, 21-10, in the fourth quarter for the final 15-point margin of victory.
- For the game, Olivet made 25-of-52 baskets (48.1 percent), including 13-of-25 (52 percent) in the second half.
- Dame drained 6-of-13 field goals and 3-of-6 free throws for her 16 points. Eight of her nine rebounds were off the offensive glass.
- Sophomore Fayth Talbert scored 14 points, grabbed seven rebounds and blocked two shots.
- Senior Daitriona Bonds came off the bench to score 13 points.
- For the game, Kalamazoo shot 25.7 percent (18-of-70). Despite having 12 more offensive rebounds, 20-8, the Hornets only out-scored Olivet, 15-15, in second-chance points.
- Georgie Brown recorded a double-double, 24 points and 10 rebounds. Half of her points came on 12-of-15 shooting from the charity stripe.
- Kaytlyn Tidy chipped-in 13 points.
- Amanda Moss netted 11 points.
- Sierra Fraser also pulled down 10 rebounds.
- Olivet's 48.1 field goal percentage was its best mark of the 2018-19 season.
- Bonds' 13 points is a single-game, career-high.
- The Comets travel to play Adrian College Saturday afternoon at 3 p.m. The game is a part of a doubleheader at the Merillat Sports & Fitness Center, as the Olivet men will play the Bulldogs before the women's game at 1 p.m.