ADRIAN, Mich. – The Olivet College women's basketball team scored the final five points of the game to stun Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association (MIAA) rival Adrian College, 46-44, this afternoon at the Merillat Sport & Fitness Center in Adrian.
Final Score: Olivet 46, Adrian 44
Location: Merillat Sport & Fitness Center; Adrian, Mich.
Records: Adrian 9-14 overall, 5-9 MIAA; Olivet 8-15 overall, 4-10 MIAA
- The largest lead for either team in the first quarter was four points for the Bulldogs, 8-4, at the 4:19 mark. The Comets came back with four straight points to even the score before Adrian ended the quarter on a 4-1 run to lead by three points, 12-9.
- The Bulldogs surged ahead by six points twice in the second quarter. The second time made the score 23-17 at halftime.
- Adrian maintained its advantage for the entire third quarter and took a 34-31 into the final stanza. Sophomore Grace White made a free throw to complete an "old-fashioned" three-point play to put the Comets ahead 36-35 at the 8:14 mark.
- The Bulldogs made the next basket to take the lead back and continued to lead until re-gained the advantage 41-40 at the 1:38 mark. Back-to-back layups for Adrian made the score 44-41 with 1:08 left in the game.
- Senior Shawnee Dame made a layup to cut the Bulldog lead down to a single point with 33 seconds remaining. The Bulldogs missed a shot and sophomore Fayth Talbert grabbed the rebound.
- Following a timeout, junior Tammy Lee converted a layup to put the Comets ahead 45-44 with six seconds left. Adrian called a timeout to advance the ball. On the inbounds play, a Bulldog player was whistled for an offensive player. After another Adrian foul, sophomore Grace Clark split two free throws to make the score 46-44. Adrian used another timeout to advance the ball to its frontcourt. The Bulldogs missed the game-tying shot, and senior Daitriona Bonds hauled down the rebound to seal Olivet's come-from-behind win.
- Dame and Talbert finished the game with 10 points apiece.
- Talbert pulled down a team-best 12 rebounds.
- Ashley Morris scored a game-high 12 points.
- Rachel Bucher was next with 11 points.
- Sha'Trice Graves had a game-high 18 rebounds.
- The Comets host Calvin College next Wednesday, Feb. 13. Tip-off at the Cutler Event Center is 7:30 p.m. Prior to the game, Olivet will recognize its seniors who will be playing in their final home game.