ANGOLA, Ind. – Led by junior Tyler Grimsley's first-place performance in the 165-pound bracket, the Olivet College wrestling team opened its season by finishing third at the 2017 Trine (Ind.) University Invitational inside the Keith E. Busse/Steel Dynamics Athletic and Recreation Center in Angola, Indiana.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The tournament featured 11 schools and 185 wrestlers.
- North Central (Ill.) won the team title with 119.5 points.
- The Comets totaled 86.0 points which was 10 behind second-place Baldwin Wallace (Ohio) University. In-state rivals Adrian College was ninth with 32.5 points and Alma College was 10th with 27.0 points.
- Grimsley had a 5-0 record. He reached the championship match with a 16-5 major decision, followed by two pins (3:00 and 3:19) and a 7-3 decision. In the finals against Benjamin Hooff from Baldwin Wallace, Grimsley needed a takedown late in the third period to tie the match and a takedown in overtime to pull out a 7-5 victory.
- Freshman Ethan May had an impressive collegiate debut, placing second in the 141-pound bracket. He started his day with two injury default wins before winning by major decision, 15-1, in the semifinals. May lost 13-3 to Anthony Rink from North Central in the championship match.
- Senior Ryan Clark took second-place in the 184-pound bracket. He pinned his first opponent before winning three close matches (8-6, 9-4 and 8-6). In the championship match, Clark was pinned by Isaac Odell from Wheaton (Ill.) College.
- Senior Jared Brickley was third in the 125-pound bracket. Following a bye in the first round, he won two matches 18-0 and 15-5 before getting pinned in the semifinals. Down in the consolation bracket, Brickley won 9-6 and used a takedown in the third period to win the third-place match 5-3.
- Also in the 165-pound bracket, freshman Dylan Briggs finished fourth with a 5-1 record. He lost his first match but bounced back to win five straight matches to reach the consolation bracket finals. Briggs was unable to wrestle the third-place match due to a new NCAA rule that prohibits a wrestler from wrestling in more than six matches in one day.
- Sophomore Haydn Kinjorski was fourth in the 174-pound bracket. He won two decisions, 9-6 and 6-5, before dropping a 9-8 decision in the semifinals. In the consolation bracket, he picked-up a 9-4 decision until losing 9-4 in the finals of the bracket.
OLIVET RESULTS BY WEIGHT CLASS
- 125: Jared Brickley 3rd-place, 4-1; Garret Cleveland 2-2; Christian Lawhorn 0-2
- 133: Kaleb Marion 3-2, Spencer Fox 2-2
- 141: Ethan May 2nd-place, 3-1; Andre Bourlier 1-2
- 149: Dean Roberts 2-2, Easton Maus 1-2
- 157: John Leark 3-2
- 165: Tyler Grimsley first-place, 5-0; Dylan Briggs 4th-place, 5-1; Nicholas Worden 3-2; Adam Hall 2-2; Kyle Roberts 0-2; Ethan Sharp 0-2
- 174: Haydn Kinjorski fourth-place, 3-2; Kamyab Kamali 1-2; Nicholas Guerra 0-2
- 184: Ryan Clark second-place, 4-1; Keagan Silverthorn 1-2
- 197: Raden Holmes 1-2
- 285: Trevor Piggott 3-2, Clayton Higelmire 1-2, Jalen McFerrin-Pace 1-2, Logan Beaudoin 0-2, Jermaine Chapman 0-2, Jack Tromp 0-2
FINAL TEAM STANDINGS
1. North Central (Ill.) 119.5, 2. Baldwin Wallace (Ohio) 96.0, 3. OLIVET 86.0, 4. Wheaton (Ill.) 72.0, 5. Trine (Ind.) 49.5, 6. Indiana Tech 46.0, 6. Chicago (Ill.) 46.0, 8. Muskegon CC 32.5, 9. Adrian 32.5, 10. Alma 27.0, 11. Manchester (Ind.) 14.5.
- Olivet hosts the 2017 Comet Duals next Saturday, Nov. 18. Action inside The Cutler Event Center gets under way at 10 a.m.