OLIVET, Mich. – The No. 13 ranked Olivet College wrestling team scored bonus points in five of six individual match wins to beat Adrian College, 27-19, on Senior Night at The Cutler Event Center in Olivet.
Final Score: Olivet 27, Adrian 19
Location: The Cutler Event Center; Olivet, Mich.
Records: Olivet 13-4 overall, Adrian 2-7 overall
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Starting the match at 165 pounds, junior Tyler Grimsley used a two-point near-fall as the third-period horn sounded to post a 22-7 technical fall victory.
- The Bulldogs picked-up an injury default win at 184 pounds to go up 6-5.
- At 184 pounds, senior Ryan Clark scored eight takedowns, a four-point near-fall and an escape point to notch a 21-5 technical fall to hand the lead back to the Comets, 10-6.
- Adrian used a pin at 197 pounds and a 3-1 decision at 285 pounds to take a 15-10 lead at the intermission.
- Olivet won four straight matches to pull away from the Bulldogs.
- At 125 pounds, freshman Cameron Mahlich received a forfeit win to put Olivet 16-15.
- Freshman Spencer Fox scored the final nine points of the match to record a 12-3 major decision at 133 pounds.
- At 141 pounds, senior Dean Roberts hung for a 6-2 decision.
- Sophomore Cole Hersch took his man down late in the match to register a 9-1 major decision at 149 pounds.
- The Bulldogs won a 13-2 major decision in the final match at 157 pounds.
- The Comets are back in action next Friday and Saturday, Jan. 26-27, at the Pete Willson Invitational, hosted by Wheaton (Ill.) College.