CRAWFORDSVILLE, Ind. – The Olivet College wrestling team tied for ninth of 18 schools at the 2018 NCAA Division III Central Regional. Wabash (Ind.) College hosted the regional inside the Knowling Fieldhouse in Crawfordsville, Indiana. Junior 165-pounder Tyler Grimsley was the lone Comet to advance to the 2018 NCAA Championships.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Baldwin Wallace (Ohio) University won the regional championship with 165.5 points. The Comets totaled 37.5 points.
- Grimsley placed second in the 165-pound bracket. In the championship match against top-seed Anthony Arroyo from Baldwin Wallace, he dropped an 8-1 decision. In the semifinals, Grimsley slipped past Jared Timberman from Wabash, 3-2. The difference in the match was a takedown late in the first period, as both wrestlers also scored an escape when they went down to start either the second or third period.
- At 157 pounds, senior John Leark and t 174 pounds, sophomore Haydn Kinjorski lost their first match this morning and were eliminated from the tournament.
FINAL TEAM SCORES
1. Baldwin Wallace (Ohio) 165.5, 2. Wabash (Ind.) 147.5, 3. Mount Union (Ohio) 116.0, 4. Waynesburg (Pa.) 75.5, 5. Heidelberg (Ohio) 68.5, 6. Ohio Northern 67.0, 7. John Carroll (Ohio) 59.0, 8. Manchester (Ind.) 56.5, 9. OLIVET 37.5, 9. Otterbein 37.5, 11. Adrian 36.5, 12. Thomas More (Ky.) 34.0, 13. Alma 31.0, 14. Washington & Jefferson (Pa.) 30.0, 15. Muskingum (Ohi0) 29.0, 16 Case Western (Ohio) 25.5, 17. Trine (Ind.) 22.0, 18. Mount St. Joseph (Ohio) 3.0.
- The 2018 NCAA Division III Championships are March 9-10 at Public Hall in downtown Cleveland, Ohio.